Asus Xonar d2x - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Default Asus Xonar d2x

I said I would leave a short comment about this card after choosing between this and an Azuentech prelude 7.1 or Creative card. - ASUS Xonar D2X PCI-E 7.1 Sound Card

This is the first soundcard I have owned and must say simply WOW!!!!! I never knew a computer could sound this good. I have a few friends with the higher end creative x-fi soundcards e.g. Creative X-fi xtremegamer fatal1ty pro series. Even they agree my card beats the X-fi streme gamer by far even though its more expensive. The x-fi elite is the only thing that I have heard which beats it but thats nearly double the price.

Audio is perfectly crisp I am not an audiophile so previously been using onboard sound but I can hear a huge improvement. I have found many audio forums that love this card and hardly anyone has something bad to say about it. There is some good bundled software as I play guitar I plug it through and use Ableton live (demo) to give me backing and modulation, it sounds better through my computer then it does through a peddle or amp.

I have alot of films (300+) as I use to run a media server and again WOW!! I have a Benq FP241VW which is the premium aluminium cased version of the FP24W/Z and is a good monitor. With this soundcard my hd film needs are covered I thought the onboard sounded good but now I can hear absolutely every detail even in films where the audio quality was previously lacking this card seems to magically make the sounds whole again.

Games are really really good I play crysis warhead quite a lot and it seems like I can hear every leaf rustle in the wind so environments are taken to a new level. I play battlefied 2142 as my close quaters FPS and I could probably turn off my monitor and still kill people in urban environments the sound is that accurate.

In other words I love this card and if your considering a new one don't go creative go either Auzentech or Asus. If you have vista then Asus is to me the only company that brings out good enough drivers to warrant such an expense.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo
Default Re: Asus Xonar d2x

I've always liked Auzentech sound cards, they have real quality stuff. The Asus D2X looks good too, I've always wondered if Asus sound cards were any good. Never really liked Creative, I only recommend those if you're on a budget. Nice little review though.

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 10-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via MSN to Akubane

I'll never buy another creative card again :/ amd auzentech uses the same drivers so no dice.
I'll vouch for the d2x, stellar card. And as far as noise reduction goes it floors all other cards.
It's a bit pricey though, that's its only fault.

C2D E8400 | Diamond 4870 X2 | Biostar Tpower I45 | 4GB G.Skill PK
Corsair 750TX | Xigmatek HDT-S1283 | CM Haf 932
2x Seagate 1TB 7200.11 | Asus Xonar D2X | LT Z-5500's
Razer Lycosa | Razer Lachesis | LG L245WP-BN 24" MVA LCD
Old 10-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to Wildside

Originally Posted by Akubane View Post
I'll never buy another creative card again :/ amd auzentech uses the same drivers so no dice.
I'll vouch for the d2x, stellar card. And as far as noise reduction goes it floors all other cards.
It's a bit pricey though, that's its only fault.
im using the latest beta driver for my X-Fi XtremeGamer card, works better then the ones released back in July; the beta ones are dated in September. I hope for better drivers is all n im satisfied by my card, just the drivers i dont like so much.

i still am waiting for a sound card that can support Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA HD :P
--Windows 8.1 64-bit Pro
--AMD FX-8150 w/ MX-4 and Corsair Hydro 100i Liquid Cooler
--G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 SDRAM
--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Closed Thread