Asus P5N32-E nForce 680i vs P5N-E nForce 650i

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
There seems to never be a definite answer concerning these, I want to know the definite differances. Ive heard say the 680s are way more stable and outperform the 650s, Ive heard others say they are identical except for the fact the 680s have 2 16x slots while the 650 only has 1 16x slot which means you can't SLI 2 geforce cards. Opinions please?

The 650i is actually better for the money. The 650i CAN run in SLI. it has 2 PCI-E slots but not full speed. However it has been tested and proved with SLI 8800GTX's that the 650i on average OUTPERFORMS the 680i by 1-2 FPS in games. I have never seen a benchmark where the 680i beats the 650i, but I have seen multiple where the 650i beats the 680i.

The other differences include that the 680i has 2 more SATA connectors and dual gigabyte LAN ports. My vote goes to the P5N-E

The 650i is actually better for the money. The 650i CAN run in SLI. it has 2 PCI-E slots but not full speed. However it has been tested and proved with SLI 8800GTX's that the 650i on average OUTPERFORMS the 680i by 1-2 FPS in games. I have never seen a benchmark where the 680i beats the 650i, but I have seen multiple where the 650i beats the 680i.

The other differences include that the 680i has 2 more SATA connectors and dual gigabyte LAN ports. My vote goes to the P5N-E

At motherboards.com theres 680i boards beating 650i boards by 10-15%

lol....that site looks amateurish. But I agree with Sora. The 650i is cheaper, and has been proven to be better at SLI performance, than the 680i. Hey Sora, do you have that article by any chance? I never read it before.

Nvidia nForce 650i SLI vs. nForce 680i SLI - TechSpot

here you go. Techspot is one of the most reliable names in PC authority there is.

As was the case with the majority of nForce 590 SLI and 570 SLI motherboards, users are paying about $100 more for the “faster & better” option. However, when put to the test the new nForce 680i SLI chipset fails to prove it is faster than the 650i SLI.

I the 650i doesn't have 2 16x slots, won't it hurt its SLI performance with 2 geforce 8 cards?

"The P5N32-E SLI supports 8-channel audio while the P5N-E SLI offers just 6-channel."

Also, what does this mean exactly? Would this matter if I used a PCI sound card like SB Xi-Fi?

If you read the article Sora linked, it showed how the 650i's SLI performance on average, beats the 680i's SLI performance. Even though the 650i has two x8 PCIe slots.

I the 650i doesn't have 2 16x slots, won't it hurt its SLI performance with 2 geforce 8 cards?

"The P5N32-E SLI supports 8-channel audio while the P5N-E SLI offers just 6-channel."

Also, what does this mean exactly? Would this matter if I used a PCI sound card like SB Xi-Fi?

The PCI-E bus has A LOT of unused bandwidth. Even SLi 8800GTX's don't use more than half the bandwidth that is allocated in a 650i. eventually cards will use more however right now ther 650i gives plenty enough bandwitdth to handle todays cards in SLI.

That audio channels will not matter if you are using an aftermarket sound card. Those channels are refering to the onboard audio on the boards.

650i owns in SLI, i think the 650i x8 but its funny that it performs faster than the x16 on the 680i SLI

The 650i is also more solid of a chipset than the 680i. I think the bugs were worked out of the 680i but still. it is ironic but people still buy the 680i a lot just becuase they think it's better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom