Asus P5K Premium, which quad core? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Asus P5K Premium, which quad core?

What's a good/best quad core I can fit on a P5K Premium motherboard?

I think that these were good boards in their day, I know they're good for over clocking but from what I can tell the sockets don't support the newer processors, am I right? Or could I fit a Xeon quad (or better) to this board? Am I restricted to just the Core 2 quads?

I need something really fast, it's a last ditch attempt to get this machine up to spec or else it's a complete overhaul. If I can not get this machine fast enough to run Adobe After Effects (well) then I'm in for a huge upgrade which will cost the earth.

What are my Processor options for this board?

Regards

ni-cad.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer
Default Re: Asus P5K Premium, which quad core?

xeon isn't a measure of quality, it's more of the "code name" type thing they give to the server chips..

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

there's a list of compatible CPU's

Core i7 920 @ 3.0Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
6gb G.Skill 1600mhz/9-9-9-24
Corsair 750XT
EVGA GTX 260---216core
WD 640gb
14590 3dmarks @ stock
Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks man.

There's a lot to choose from, I just don't know which are good and which aren't, I would like a 3ghz quad (or over 3ghz if poss) but I'm absolutly dumbfounded by this list. It seems that there's only one 3Ghz quad listed here the Core 2 Quad Q9650

Is that right?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Newegg.com - Intel Xeon X3380 Yorkfield 3.16GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Server Processor - Processors - Servers
That's the best proc you can get for your board. It's a server CPU so it costs more but they tend to fun faster and more stable than their desktop counterparts.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer

what CPU are you using right now? The Q9650 is good but it cost a lot more than it's worth. You could always go with a lesser chip and just over clock.

So what do you have now? What are you willing to spend? And if it comes down to it..how much are you willing to spend if you have to build a new system?

Core i7 920 @ 3.0Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
6gb G.Skill 1600mhz/9-9-9-24
Corsair 750XT
EVGA GTX 260---216core
WD 640gb
14590 3dmarks @ stock
Old 11-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
Newegg.com - Intel Xeon X3380 Yorkfield 3.16GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Server Processor - Processors - Servers
That's the best proc you can get for your board. It's a server CPU so it costs more but they tend to fun faster and more stable than their desktop counterparts.
Oh wow, 3.16 Ghz and a quad, nice one, hey I think that price looks really reasonable actually.

Thanks again Pete, that looks well tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflehammer View Post
what CPU are you using right now? The Q9650 is good but it cost a lot more than it's worth. You could always go with a lesser chip and just over clock.

So what do you have now? What are you willing to spend? And if it comes down to it..how much are you willing to spend if you have to build a new system?
Ah, man I don't want to build a new Rig, currently I'm running an Intel core 2 duo, it's tragically insufficient for the work I do, presently I'm just planning on keeping the upgrade to under £1000, if the whole rig has to be upgraded I guess. . . double that?

I'm currently working with.

Intel Core2 duo.
8gig ddr2 ram
P5K premium
a slow hard drive drive, don't know what it is. . . .(Slow)

It looks like this system isn't touching much of the Ram I already have installed, there's constantly 5 or so gig of unused Ram being reported, I don't think it's a very efficient machine, however I'm hoping a good quad core and an SSD to run the opsys on will help improve it's efficiency, that's where the majority of my budget will be going.

This is what my task manager looks like %99 of the time. . .

If I upgrade the whole thing (Which I can't really afford) I was going to go for an Asus dual socket mobo, two quads, 32 gig of ram and an SSD. . . Pricey but I could save up the £2000 I need within a few months, right now I have a grand.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni-cad View Post
Oh wow, 3.16 Ghz and a quad, nice one, hey I think that price looks really reasonable actually.

Thanks again Pete, that looks well tasty
if your willing to spend $500 on that then why not go ahead and spend the extra money and step up to a core i7 build.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH - Desktop Memory

the i7 860 will eat that xenon alive.

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 11-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

That would mean having to swap out the motherboard as well wouldn't it?

What motherboard's support i7, is there anything relatively cheap around the same price with the same sort of features as this Asus P5k Premium?

Is an i7 worth all the extra trouble, ie swapping out the mobo etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
It doesn't seem to be listed as a compatible processor on the Asus site, is that anything to worry about?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

^ the p5k will support it. it's basically a q9650 with the xenon branding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni-cad View Post
That would mean having to swap out the motherboard as well wouldn't it?

What motherboard's support i7, is there anything relatively cheap around the same price with the same sort of features as this Asus P5k Premium?

Is an i7 worth all the extra trouble, ie swapping out the mobo etc?
yes, the mobo i listed along with the ram are very good and compatible with the i7 860.

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 11-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbar71 View Post
^ the p5k will support it. it's basically a q9650 with the xenon branding.

yes, the mobo i listed along with the ram are very good and compatible with the i7 860.
Oh Sorry, I thought those links were your signature, how embarrassing

lol, Cool would there be any problem installing 8 gig of that Ram, or even 16 on that board? (Though I doubt I'd need 16).

Would it support two ATI Radeon HD 4870's?

Would I be able to find an i7 that runs (slightly) faster without too much of a price increase? Or is that about the best value for money?

Closed Thread