ASUS EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M or SAPPHIRE HD4870, 1024 MB ? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Santuzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 644
Question ASUS EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M or SAPPHIRE HD4870, 1024 MB ?

Hi,

I will build (or have it built for me) a new PC with an i7 920.
The primary use will be as a DAW for music recoridng and produciton.
But I also want to use it for gaming occasionally, and I would want to play games like COD, Far Cry 2 or Star Wars Force Unleashed.

I have gotten advice on PC parts, but I'm still undecided on some parts, for instance graphics card.

So which one would be a better choice

ASUS EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M

or

SAPPHIRE HD4870, 1024 MB ?

I also don't really understand sometihng baout the graphics cards:
I see this 9800 in different brands and versions?
Like sometimes it just says 9800GTX+, and this one by Asus says EN9800GTX+?

What does the EN stand for? What's the difference?

Also, what does "DK/HTDI" mean?

And why do they come in different brands? I thought the brand would be either NVidia or GeForce, but then it still says Sapphire or Asus, or some other brand?
Is the brand important?

As you can tell, I know close to nothing about PCs, but I am willing to learn and I appreciate your help and advice!

Thanks,
Lars
__________________

Santuzzo is offline  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Tenenbaum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 359
Send a message via MSN to Tenenbaum
Default Re: ASUS EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M or SAPPHIRE HD4870, 1024 MB ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santuzzo View Post
Hi,

I will build (or have it built for me) a new PC with an i7 920.
The primary use will be as a DAW for music recoridng and produciton.
But I also want to use it for gaming occasionally, and I would want to play games like COD, Far Cry 2 or Star Wars Force Unleashed.

I have gotten advice on PC parts, but I'm still undecided on some parts, for instance graphics card.

So which one would be a better choice

ASUS EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M

or

SAPPHIRE HD4870, 1024 MB ?

I also don't really understand sometihng baout the graphics cards:
I see this 9800 in different brands and versions?
Like sometimes it just says 9800GTX+, and this one by Asus says EN9800GTX+?

What does the EN stand for? What's the difference?

And why do they come in different brands? I thought the brand would be either NVidia or GeForce, but then it still says Sapphire or Asus, or some other brand?
Is the brand important?

As you can tell, I know close to nothing about PCs, but I am willing to learn and I appreciate your help and advice!

Thanks,
Lars
The 4870 will be the better choice.
Are you planning a build?
If so, let me know a budget, and we can help you out, and step you through it.
__________________

Tenenbaum is offline  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Hefemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 9,093
Default Re: ASUS EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M or SAPPHIRE HD4870, 1024 MB ?

the 4870 is a much better video card. ATI and Nvidia are the chip manufactures while the other companies ASUS, EVGA, XFX etc. make the cards.
__________________
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Hefemeister is offline  
Old 02-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Santuzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 644
Default Re: ASUS EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M or SAPPHIRE HD4870, 1024 MB ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenenbaum View Post
The 4870 will be the better choice.
Are you planning a build?
If so, let me know a budget, and we can help you out, and step you through it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefemeister View Post
the 4870 is a much better video card. ATI and Nvidia are the chip manufactures while the other companies ASUS, EVGA, XFX etc. make the cards.
OK, thank you very much, guys !

So, if I decide on the 4870, would the Sapphire HD 4870, 1024MB be ok? Does the brand matter much here?

Yes, I am planning a build, and I think I know what parts to get!

I will make a new thread with my list of parts and ask for your opinion and advice if I should change anything.

So far I am decided on these parts:

CPU: i7 920
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe
PSU: Corsair ATX TX750W
graphics card : Sapphire HD 4870, 1024MB (?)
RAM: 3x or 2x Corsair 2 GB XMS3 DHX TWIN3X2048-1600C7DHX
HDD: 2x WD 1TB, Caviar (or Samsung 1TB drives, they are slightly cheaper)
DVD/CD Re-Writer: 2x LG DVR 22X DL,LS,SATA
Case: Cooler Master HAF932


What do you think of this?

Do you happen to know if the Asus P6T Deluxe has an option for wireless internet?
Santuzzo is offline  
Old 02-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!
 
Peter.Cort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,018
Default Re: ASUS EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M or SAPPHIRE HD4870, 1024 MB ?

you're gonna want to get a 3x1gb or 3x2gb of the ddr3 for the tri-channel benifits that you won't get with just 2gb or 4gb. also what size monitor are you getting?

and the p6t most likely doesnt' from what I've seen, just get a wireless pci card for it if you need wireless.
__________________
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Peter.Cort is offline  
Old 02-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Santuzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 644
Default Re: ASUS EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M or SAPPHIRE HD4870, 1024 MB ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
you're gonna want to get a 3x1gb or 3x2gb of the ddr3 for the tri-channel benifits that you won't get with just 2gb or 4gb. also what size monitor are you getting?

and the p6t most likely doesnt' from what I've seen, just get a wireless pci card for it if you need wireless.
Thanks !

Yes, that's what I was planning on getting, 3x 2gb RAM

I think I will get two 22" monitors. A dual monitor set-up makes working with music sequencer programs much easier

If I get a wireless card, I will have one PCI less free for other upgrades. Wouldn't that be a disadvantage?
I thought, it's good to have as many free/available PCI and PCIe slots as possible? Or is this something I don't need to worry about?
Santuzzo is offline  
Old 02-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!
 
Peter.Cort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,018
Default Re: ASUS EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M or SAPPHIRE HD4870, 1024 MB ?

The only things you would use a PCI slot for is a raid card, sound card, old video card for multiple monitors, or NIC. Are you going to be looking into a sound card? Even with all that stuff you won't be running out of slots anytime soon. and it doesn't matter how many or few of the slots you fill up. I've filled all and none and there's no difference to me.
__________________
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Peter.Cort is offline  
Old 02-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Santuzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 644
Default Re: ASUS EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M or SAPPHIRE HD4870, 1024 MB ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
The only things you would use a PCI slot for is a raid card, sound card, old video card for multiple monitors, or NIC. Are you going to be looking into a sound card? Even with all that stuff you won't be running out of slots anytime soon. and it doesn't matter how many or few of the slots you fill up. I've filled all and none and there's no difference to me.
Thanks !

I will get an external audio interface which will be either connected by USB or firewire.
__________________

Santuzzo is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crossfire With ASUS and Sapphire RyanWhitell New Systems | Building and Buying 5 01-21-2009 03:56 AM
FS:( UK ) HD4870 512mb! 4870 Asus top BIOS gurusan Buy/Sell/Trade and Hot Deals 7 12-27-2008 05:20 PM
Opinions on an Asus Laptop... Blahages Laptops and Notebooks 3 07-30-2008 11:56 AM
PC Build: Which Asus motherboard? (Ordering all parts in 24hours) DJ Redrum New Systems | Building and Buying 7 04-09-2008 05:59 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.