ASUS ATI 4850 Video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint Eastwood

Baseband Member
So I've heard that you can adjust the fan speed on the ASUS 4850, and I thought it was through the included Catalyst software that comes with the card. I do not see a fan speed option. I googled it, and downloaded something called ASUS smartdoctor. That doesn't seem to work at all, it gives me an error message that says "Card not found.". The card is installed.

Does anyone have the same video card or know how to increase the fan speed?

Thank you!

You have to tweak a CCC profile. I have the 4850, I did the tweak. It's quick and easy.

-Open CCC.
-Go to ATi Overdrive on the left
-Click the padlock to unlock ATi Overdrive
-Click Enable ATi Overdrive
-Go to Profiles>Profile Manager then make/save a profile
-Go to (on XP) "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE" You will see some XML files
-Open the XML file with the same name as the profile you created (you open this with wordpad or any text editor)
-Find "<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />" (I think it says automatic, might be just auto)
-Replace Automatic (or auto) with Manual, so it looks like this:
"<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />"
-Find "<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />" (might be 20, mine was 0)
-Make the value "100" so it looks like this:
"<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="100" />"

Save the file, reload the profile.

EDIT: You can make the value anything other than 100, it's just whatever percentage you want the fan to run at.

i guess u could also use rivatuner if u wanted to but obviously the CCC is better for practicality

You have to tweak a CCC profile. I have the 4850, I did the tweak. It's quick and easy.

-Open CCC.
-Go to ATi Overdrive on the left
-Click the padlock to unlock ATi Overdrive
-Click Enable ATi Overdrive
-Go to Profiles>Profile Manager then make/save a profile
-Go to (on XP) "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE" You will see some XML files
-Open the XML file with the same name as the profile you created (you open this with wordpad or any text editor)
-Find "<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />" (I think it says automatic, might be just auto)
-Replace Automatic (or auto) with Manual, so it looks like this:
"<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />"
-Find "<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />" (might be 20, mine was 0)
-Make the value "100" so it looks like this:
"<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="100" />"

Save the file, reload the profile.

EDIT: You can make the value anything other than 100, it's just whatever percentage you want the fan to run at.

Thanks... but... I didn't find any file that you're speaking of. I saved a profile named chris. I didn't see anything with that name anywhere. My ATI.ACE folder was in program files.

Am I looking in the right place?

ativideo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom