Asus A8n SLI deluxe vs. DFI LanParty nF4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Asus A8n SLI deluxe vs. DFI LanParty nF4

I am stuck between these to mobos to get but I am not sure which one.

My problem is that almost everytime someone asks, "which mobo" you all say DFI LanParty.

When I read up on the reviews (pcworld, maximum pc) the Asus A8n sli deluxe is always top ranked over all the other mobos.

So I want to know why everyone thinks that the DFI LanParty is better than the Asus A8n sli deluxe when most of the professional reviews i read say go with the asus.

Can anyone give me a reason to buy dfi over asus?

Old 11-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

DFI is the king of overclockers boards basically...personally I hate ASUS and have never had but crap with them although I hear they are supposed to be good with Intel platforms.

If you don't want to or ever plan on overclocking then go for the ASUS although I'd still go with DFI as I think their quality is superb as well as support. at www.dfi-street.com there are a couple people who work at DFI that always browse those forums helping people not to mention you get good tech support through e-mails.

Anytime I try to get tech support through ASUS it was some dude in thailand who could barely make a completely sentence through e-mail and couldn't properly troubleshoot.

Old 11-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubius
DFI is the king of overclockers boards basically...personally I hate ASUS and have never had but crap with them although I hear they are supposed to be good with Intel platforms.

If you don't want to or ever plan on overclocking then go for the ASUS although I'd still go with DFI as I think their quality is superb as well as support. at www.dfi-street.com there are a couple people who work at DFI that always browse those forums helping people not to mention you get good tech support through e-mails.

Anytime I try to get tech support through ASUS it was some dude in thailand who could barely make a completely sentence through e-mail and couldn't properly troubleshoot.
Define crap?

Maximum Pc and PC World don't seem to have problems with them. Pc world ranked a8n sli deluxe #1 mobo for athlon 64s
Old 11-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

They are problem filled motherboards, just search around.

However Asus is a well known name, and 90% of their motherboards are great. However the 10% that suck are all AMD based motherboards.

Also your PC magazines are getting some "sponsor" money from Asus
Old 11-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ-CHRIS

Also your PC magazines are getting some "sponsor" money from Asus
Thats not a fact
Old 11-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I as well read a bunch before getting my ASUS. They get reviewed very well. They main problem people seem to have with them is there OC possibilities. I dont do much OCing and have had no problems (finding piece of wood right now) with mine and have been very happy. Never had to call tech support so cant give you any feedback on that.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 11-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Define crap?

Maximum Pc and PC World don't seem to have problems with them. Pc world ranked a8n sli deluxe #1 mobo for athlon 64s
Yeesh why ask a question about a motherboard if you're going to be so fixed on what a couple of magazines write about.

The problems I had were compatibility issues...for whatever reason even though it had an nvidia chipset it did not want to work with my nvidia video card.....ASUS (in broken english) says my video card is bad...I get a MSI board with via chipset and it works like charm.

A lot of the people at the monthly LAN I go to have ASUS...problems with the SATA controllers acting up has arisen over more than just one person...this of course mainly applies once you start to get to overclocking.

However my main arguement besides my own personal experience and dislike for them is also the fact that tech support is utter crap, so I hope you'd never need to call them...

as for people who say 'well my motherboard works' Well I sure as hell hope that when the motherboard comes out of the box it works like it should...that's the whole **** point.

Those PC Magazines, all they do is pop in the board and see if it works....if another one wigs out or doesn't work it's considered worse and then by default the ASUS will be seen the best.

As far as overall useability, flexability and tech support combined, DFI is better

If you just want a plain board that should work right, and not have to tinker with then go ahead and get the ASUS and hope you NEVER need to contact their tech support.

Closed Thread