Asus 790GX vs. Biostar Tpower nForce 750a - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
ricanflow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Euless, Tx
Posts: 6,317
Default Re: Asus 790GX vs. Biostar Tpower nForce 750a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
First off, Rican I really am not sure what point you are trying to make. So I'll do my best to address it.
Im trying to make the point that not everyone is concerned about the most performance, and AMD does have bang for your buck chips, such as the BE's which is what i run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
I haven't recommended intels on htpcs. In fact I don't bother with htpc threads often because its not my expertise (although if I remember Via owns the low power segment)
I was just speaking in general, i dont recall you ever posting in htpc build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
But honestly Rican I don't think your case warranted an Intel build. If you already had an AMD rig then there is no point tossing out a good one.
I built my system in November of 2007, I went from an Athlon XP 2800+ and 7300GT, to my current board with an X2 4800+ and 8500GT. I then got the upgrade bug and sold both for almost the same price i bought them for (about a month later) and got an 8800GT 256MB and X2 5000+ BE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
My problem is when people recommend whole gaming builds that are phenom based. There is no logical point in doing so (fanboyism does not count a slogial because it ignores facts).
I agree here, i dont recommened a phenom for gaming, except in the case of the 9850BE since it performs much better. I have always recommended dual cores, mostly the 5000+ BE since they perform better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
Yes cards are more important for fps, but that in and of itself doesn't mean you should get a slower cpu. Once again best bang for buck. Supreme Commander is an excellent example of cpu driven games. Most modern RTS and simulation games will also rely on a cpu but that's a moot point. You make the argument about 150fps versus 120fps. Personally I don't know what game your playing unless its 3 or 4 years old, But DX10 games only get that with super expensive rigs or low graphics. Most people here don't have $2k to spend, so every bit of performance you can get matters a good deal.
I was using random numbers as an example, im a heavy player of cod4 and have played some other games. A 3ghz dual core is plenty capable of running cpu intensive games quite well,in my experience.

When you say "slower", i think of anything under 3ghz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
I also want to contest this notion of a bandwagon. It's the first time I have heard anyone call Intel users that, but honestly if we are running for the performance Bandwagon then I sure hope there is a seat left for me. Lets think about this. Phenoms and Core2s have relatively the same price for their market segment. But the Competing ccore2s will consistently beat the Phenoms they are set against. I don't think there is a Phenom that can beat the gaming performance of an e8400 consistently. And the e8400 is not an expensive chip.
Again, like i stated earlier i hardly ever recommend a phenom, unless its the 9850BE and hopefully the new deneb based chips when they come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
And you know what? I do a lot of work in FLStudio too. That is a very cpu demanding thing. When you are rendering in realtime multiple 3XOSC and Sytrus synths you can bog down a cpu pretty easy. In that case you want as much cpu as you can get.
FL Studio also relys on sound hardware, and a good interface can significantly lighten the load on the cpu. I use ASIO drivers as well and its made a world of difference coming from a 2.2ghz single core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
When you get down to it. This has nothing to do with what company's name is on the chip. It has everything to do with how fast it is and how much it costs. I understand AMD is working on a ULV Athlon for netbooks, I hope they roll it out soon, because there is gobs of money to be made, and the Atom isn't as fast as everyone says. Right now Core2 is king, and as much as it hurts for some people to realize that. We must. Not for our pride, or for out 3dmark scores, but because there are a lot of people who come here wnating recommendations and to recommend second best, no matter how big or small the gap is, would be doing them a great disservice.
No one is debating the fact that Intels chips perform faster clock for clock. But just because they do, that doesn't mean they are right for everyone. If someone makes a thread and wants the fastest system possible, then ill suggest Intel. If they want an htpc system, ill suggest an AMD system.

Sometimes, people just want the fastest AMD based system, so ill recommended something. Then you get the ood joe who comes in and says "well for this much you can get this Intel based system" and the usual stuff.

That to me feels like a bandwagon, because a person is trying to push a product onto someone else even after they said what they wanted already.

Its not even a fact of not having the money either, back when i built this system i had over 3K in the bank and i could have built a monster of a system and took all the records with major e-peenage...but i didn't because i don't feel a need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle Jumper View Post
If you were getting 120fps or more this might not matter as much but with games like Crysis we could be talking about the difference between smooth game play and a slide show. I don't know about everyone else but when I buy a cpu I want the absolute best product available with my budget and I would get cpu x if its was .001% faster than cpu y because there is no reason to get a slower cpu.

Right now Intel has the best cpu's and there are plenty of benchmarks showing it. 2 years from now that could be a different story but for know I see no reason to get anything other than the best. There is nothing wrong with preferring AMD but that preference should be put aside when recommending hardware to others.
Crysis is still more gpu dependent than it is cpu.

Put an E8400 clocked at 4ghz in your rig, with the same card you have now versus my
3ghz 5000+ and a GTX 260 and lets run the game at 1680x1050 on high settings.

Think youll get more fps than me???
__________________

__________________
3DMARK06 = 20,341 (3.8GHZ)



Laptop
P7350 | GTX 260M | 4GB DDR2 800 | 320GB HD | X-Fi | Vista 64

Folding Rig/File Server

M775 | E1200 | Foxconn P9657AB
| Dual 8800GT | Antec NeoHE 500 | Barracuda 80GB | Wintec Ampx



ricanflow is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: Asus 790GX vs. Biostar Tpower nForce 750a

Quote:
I agree here, I don't recommend a phenom for gaming, except in the case of the 9850BE since it performs much better. I have always recommended dual cores, mostly the 5000+ BE since they perform better.
Well you may not, but the AMD fanboys are. Those are the people that I have to debate against continuously.
__________________

__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
Puddle Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,286
Default Re: Asus 790GX vs. Biostar Tpower nForce 750a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanflow View Post
Sometimes, people just want the fastest AMD based system, so ill recommended something. Then you get the ood joe who comes in and says "well for this much you can get this Intel based system" and the usual stuff.

That to me feels like a bandwagon, because a person is trying to push a product onto someone else even after they said what they wanted already.

Crysis is still more gpu dependent than it is cpu.

Put an E8400 clocked at 4ghz in your rig, with the same card you have now versus my
3ghz 5000+ and a GTX 260 and lets run the game at 1680x1050 on high settings.

Think youll get more fps than me???
People may want the fastest AMD based system and that's perfectly fine but it's possible they may not have realized Intel took back the performance crown with Core 2 and simply expected AMD to still be in the lead. Back in the netburst days I was glad when someone corrected me about Pentium 4 being faster than a Athlon and saved me from the ghz= performance illusion.

Crysis may be more gpu dependent but if you compare your GTX 260 and 5000+ BE to a 4ghz E8400 and GTX 260 the system with the E8400 will be getting better fps.
__________________

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
CntdwnToExtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Parents Basement...Still
Posts: 1,746
Send a message via MSN to CntdwnToExtn
Default Re: Asus 790GX vs. Biostar Tpower nForce 750a

*sigh*
all this because someone asked a motherboard question...
i think we all have problems.
:tard:
__________________
[110.7896] Getting up from chair
[112.8798] Walking to fridge
[118.5234] Opening Fridge
[119.1439] CntdwnToExtn panic - no beer: Fridge empty!


CntdwnToExtn is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: Asus 790GX vs. Biostar Tpower nForce 750a

I'm surprised your personal remarks haven't gotten you an infraction. Nobody here is retarded. Most of us are probably smarter than the average joe or at least better informed when it comes to tech. By insinuating that others are somehow beneath your intelligence you are asking for a flaming and making a lot of enemies in the process.
__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 806
Default Re: Asus 790GX vs. Biostar Tpower nForce 750a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanflow View Post
Then i did several small upgrades, and i was going to possibly get an Intel mobo and cpu but then i saw the masses going to Intel, and i decided not to follow the crowd.
That is one of the most absurd things I've ever read. lol. To not get a product, for the sake of trying to be different, is just as bad as "jumping on the bandwagon." I have an AMD cpu, my brother does as well. Sure they are cheaper, but for not that much more you can get way better performance out of an intel cpu, and I highly regret being cheap.

Why would someone not want to get what is best? That would be like not getting proactive because everyone has it, so instead you suffer with horrible acne. lol. Ridiculous if you ask me.
Thresh25 is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
ricanflow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Euless, Tx
Posts: 6,317
Default Re: Asus 790GX vs. Biostar Tpower nForce 750a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresh25 View Post
That is one of the most absurd things I've ever read. lol. To not get a product, for the sake of trying to be different, is just as bad as "jumping on the bandwagon." I have an AMD cpu, my brother does as well. Sure they are cheaper, but for not that much more you can get way better performance out of an intel cpu, and I highly regret being cheap.

Why would someone not want to get what is best? That would be like not getting proactive because everyone has it, so instead you suffer with horrible acne. lol. Ridiculous if you ask me.

No, you dont get way better performance. And id rather not be like everyone else. As ive said like 54256987 times the performance difference for me is not large, i can run the games i play very well and ill be getting a GTX 260 soon.

All you need for your system is a real gpu, like an 8800 series. The difference in performance will be larger than if you got a stronger cpu.
__________________
3DMARK06 = 20,341 (3.8GHZ)



Laptop
P7350 | GTX 260M | 4GB DDR2 800 | 320GB HD | X-Fi | Vista 64

Folding Rig/File Server

M775 | E1200 | Foxconn P9657AB
| Dual 8800GT | Antec NeoHE 500 | Barracuda 80GB | Wintec Ampx



ricanflow is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
rustle rustle
 
35g700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,580
Default Re: Asus 790GX vs. Biostar Tpower nForce 750a

Does it really matter who is better? Buy whats best, recognizing that a company is making a certain type of product (Meaning Intel makes better CPU's, AMD makes better GPU's) better then another one does not make you a fanboy it just means that you know what is better.

The guy asked a motherboard question and now there is a huge debate going on over weather or not AMD is better then Intel, remember they guy wants help choosing what is best for him, not having a huge debate on his thread over weather or not AMD will be better then Intel is a couple of months.

EDIT: Just for the record if it came across like I'm trying to say AMD doesn't make good CPU's, I'm not trying to say that AMD makes good CPU's they are just not as good as Intel's CPU's.
__________________
Core i7 8700K @ 4.8GHz - Asus Z370-E - Gigabyte GTX 970 - 16GB DDR4 3000MHz - 500GB Samsung 960 EVO - Windows 10 Pro x64
Mid 2014 Retina MacBook Pro 13.3" - 2.6GHz core i5 - 16GB DDR3 1600MHz - 128GB - macOS High Sierra
Sony PS3 & PS4 500GB || iPhone 6s 64GB iOS 11 || Sony a6000
35g700 is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 10:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
meat_helmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,119
Default Re: Asus 790GX vs. Biostar Tpower nForce 750a

Im going to get a mac just to be different!! Oh...wait...everyone else is different too...

Lol, talk about a hijacked thread! Anyway out of those motherboards i would go the Asus personally. Xfire scales better, although i know you have a Nvidia card..do u really think you will ever go for 2 cards?
__________________
meat_helmet is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
baron5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,984
Default Re: Asus 790GX vs. Biostar Tpower nForce 750a

definitely got for the gx, think i rec. it in another thread for you?

i decided to go amd to rican, but because i wanted to learn more about their chips, part of making computers for me is having what good for the money but also learning the most i can which wll dearly help me in my future career possibly.
__________________

__________________
<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

baron5 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biostar or Asus MB grkbar New Systems | Building and Buying 8 09-10-2008 09:41 PM
Opinions on an Asus Laptop... Blahages Laptops and Notebooks 3 07-30-2008 11:56 AM
PC Build: Which Asus motherboard? (Ordering all parts in 24hours) DJ Redrum New Systems | Building and Buying 7 04-09-2008 05:59 PM
Biostar TF560 A2+: Overclocking NVIDIA's new nForce 560 veg1992 New Systems | Building and Buying 1 08-02-2007 06:37 PM
Asus P5N32-E nForce 680i vs P5N-E nForce 650i Gabb New Systems | Building and Buying 20 06-06-2007 12:32 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.