Assistance Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackHawk7144

Solid State Member
Hey guys I'm planning on building a gaming computer and I haven't played games in the longest time. So my current desktop is WAY outdated :)
I'm looking forward to Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3, and so I want to build a system that will run those games pretty well and smooth and nice.
My budget is below 1000, including shipping :0
I've tried to build one but I always go overpriced and I am really rusty with building.
Also I would like Windows 7 premium and for the video card I'd prefer an Nvidia.
Processor an intel. Thanks guys for helping me out! I'd like to learn a few new things while I wait for responses! Remember $1000, and it has to run starcraft 2 and diablo 3 on high and smoothly! :D

-BlackHawk

What all do you need? Can anything you have now be reused?

At $1000, it seems like a lot, but when looking into the more expensive parts (Intel and Nvidia), plus needing an OS, it's not going to fair very well.

I suggest you change your mind and check out AMD and ATI. You'll get far better bang for your buck, and should go a lot further.

For instance :

i7 920 + X58 motherboard = AT LEAST $420 just for those 2 parts.

i5 750 + Socket 1156 motherboard = $295

Phenom II 955 + 890GX AM3 Motherboard = $255 (This price could drop quite a bit, 'cause you can use AM2+ motherboard with AM3 processors, you just have to sacrifice DDR3 with DDR2)

Phenom II 1055T Six Core + 890GX AM3 Motherboard = $300 (Same with above, I believe, haven't looked into as much. But the price could drop with new BIOS' coming out.)

That that, plus the $100 for the OS, at least.

Then you look at video cards...

Nvidia's GTX 260 = $180

ATI's 4890 (Quite a bit more powerful than the 260, actually faster than the GTX 275) = $190

Or a 5770, which is on the level of a GTX 260, but gives you DX11, which the others do not have. = $155

Thanks for the input!
Unfortunately I can't reuse anything.
I know how expensive a computer for gaming is...This isn't actually for me but for a friend and his computer is really old. The computer I have right now that I built a while ago is $1300+.
But he's on a budget.
The thing is I don't think he needs like really good parts, just parts enough to run Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 that are coming out in the future well.
I've looked up a few video cards that might work.

I think these two are reasonably priced and good enough. What do you think?
The only reason I didn't want AMD or ATI is because I'm not too familiar with them at all since all I have are intel and Nvidia. But I'll check into them though I'd still rather prefer intel and nvidia.

and OS, I found Windows 7 for $150

Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium: Software

Core i5 750 is a great processor for the price. You should get it over the i7 if you are on a budget. That will also allow you to go with 4GB, as the i5 supports dual channel. That might even leave you enough to buy a GTX 470.

um I'm not sure why my other posts did not go through but here's the thing again.
This isn't really for me but for a friend and he has nothing he can reuse. But I've built my computer before and know it cost quite a lot. But he's on a budget. The only reason I prefer Nvidia and Intel is that I am much more familiar with their products than AMD and ATI. I'm still willing to check them out but i'd still prefer Nvidia and ATI.
Overall I don't think the computer needs to be suer powerful at all since all it is running is Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3, which haven't been released yet I know.

I was thinking either this video card

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

or

Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

like you said.

Can you help me build a computer around either of these video cards?

Windows 7 $150
Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium: Software

That's actually a pretty good build. If you have a monitor, and an optical drive, that would be one of the better builds to get.

However, Paton did say he just threw it together, so there's room for improvement

Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV4GK - $100 after rebate, but faster speed, and better timings.

You can take the other $$100 or so, and get a used LCD if need be, or upgrade to a 5830 (Not going to take all that $100).

Yhza I have like no knowledge of RAM and mobos.

And I knew I forgot something... optical drive!

Black, the Platinums are 7-7-7-20. I thought that was faster than 8-8-8-24?

The tax on the build was $81 if in Cali. So if hes tax free, the 5830s a good update.

You're right, my bad. That's a very good build. I would get this hard drive instead tough.
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom