Around $300 to spend on upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
I have around $300 to spend on computer upgrades. They won't be purchased RIGHT AWAY, but within the next month. My specs are in my signature, and are current. My motherboard can support any Phenom II (up to 140W TPD). I'm looking for mainly upgrades to further help in gaming. So far, I'm thinking a 5770, a X3 720, and a new case. That's going to put me either a little under or a little over my budget, but that's what I've been looking at so far. I'm really wanting a RAM upgrade, but I know it's either the case or the RAM. A processor and newer generation graphics card is inevitable. Suggestions would be nice. A new power supply is already being bought, so that's not needed.

If I were you, I'd get a PII x4 and sell the old CPU and use that towards a new GPU with the rest of the $. 4GB DDR2-800 is fine.

If I were you, I'd get a PII x4 and sell the old CPU and use that towards a new GPU with the rest of the $. 4GB DDR2-800 is fine.

The cheapest Phenom II X4 (on the Egg) is $150 (925 Deneb), that plus a 5770 is $160, which puts me over my budget already. The 720 is $120, a 5770 is $160, which puts me close to my budget as is. Which leaves me looking for a CHEAP case. I will of course be selling my 5200+ once I get these parts, and my 9800GT unless there's some drivers that'll let me have a "plug and play" physics card with an ATI graphics card, reasonably soon. Selling those will only get me around $100, to $120, if I'm lucky.

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
$123 w/free shipping. I have read there is a possibility of unlocking the L3 cache on them.

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
$99 w/free shipping, only 0.2 GHZ slower than the 630.

Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$175 w/free shipping

Once you sell your current CPU, use that money toward a case. If nothing else, grab an extra fan to give your current case a boost in the meantime. The looks of the case are a minor point as long as it has decent airflow... I'v e been using my case for four years now.

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
$123 w/free shipping. I have read there is a possibility of unlocking the L3 cache on them.

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
$99 w/free shipping, only 0.2 GHZ slower than the 630.

Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$175 w/free shipping

Once you sell your current CPU, use that money toward a case. If nothing else, grab an extra fan to give your current case a boost in the meantime. The looks of the case are a minor point as long as it has decent airflow... I'v e been using my case for four years now.

I had forgot about the Athlon II's. :p That would be $275, paired with the 5770. However, I'm using a fairly small OEM case, and it's VERY restricted in air flow. I have it completely pulled apart, and no side on it. As for a case, it's either the CM690 or the CM Storm Scout. Both cases are fairly nice, and do well with air flow. So far the Storm is in the lead, due to better wiring management options, what looks like to be a "removable" hard drive bay (will be using up 4 of the 5 external 5.25" slots for hard drives, and adding better fans to the front), and a side window that I can cut up easier than the side of the 690. (For added fans)

My opinion, get a 5850. Sell your 9800 and then get yourself a better case. When you get some more money, upgrade your cpu. Either that or upgrade your cpu and then wait on the gpu till you have more money. A 5770 is not a big enough jump from a 9800 GT to be worth the cost, imo. Actually, if it was me, I would not upgrade from a 9800 GT till the next generation of gpus, but I guess a lot of people can't stand not being able to max games, so whatev. I mean, I came off a PD 3.2 GHz, 6800, and 1 GB of ram when I built this rig.

a 9800GT is still a pretty good GPU, it is mainly going to be your CPU holding you back if you get a faster gpu. go with a PII 925, then when the prices come down on the 5770 or 5858 grab one!

My opinion, get a 5850. Sell your 9800 and then get yourself a better case. When you get some more money, upgrade your cpu. Either that or upgrade your cpu and then wait on the gpu till you have more money. A 5770 is not a big enough jump from a 9800 GT to be worth the cost, imo. Actually, if it was me, I would not upgrade from a 9800 GT till the next generation of gpus, but I guess a lot of people can't stand not being able to max games, so whatev. I mean, I came off a PD 3.2 GHz, 6800, and 1 GB of ram when I built this rig.

While I do like that suggestion, I do not see it being at all feasible. This is basically an early Christmas present from my girlfriend/daughter. I don't see myself upgrading a "lower-end" build to have a $250-$300 graphics card. While I would like to, it just doesn't seem like my best option.

a 9800GT is still a pretty good GPU, it is mainly going to be your CPU holding you back if you get a faster gpu. go with a PII 925, then when the prices come down on the 5770 or 5858 grab one!

The 9800GT is a great card, but I have the "EE" (Energy Effecient) version. It's a tad bit slower than the stock 9800GT. Since there's no external power to it, overclocking is pretty much out of the question. Since the 5770 would only be around $40-$60 more than what I could sell the 9800GT for, I could very well justify that price for the performance increase. The Phenom II 925 is all the better than the Athlon II 620, except for that L3 Cache. I don't even know what performance increase is with L3 cache?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom