Applying thermal paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitersety

Daemon Poster
I ordered my rig earlier this week and it's going to arrive today so I have a couple of questions.

1. Should I install the CPU/heatsink before I install the mobo?

And 2. When applying the paste, should i remove the thermal pad that's already on the cooler?

Thanks.

if it's the heatsinc that came with your processor, then probably not. if a different one, then some are best to install before putting your mobo into your case. personally I would install it seperately anyways, on an antistatic surface. it's just easier to manuever that way. yes, absolutely use a different thermal paste! most that come with heatsinks aren't that great.

if it's the heatsinc that came with your processor, then probably not. if a different one, then some are best to install before putting your mobo into your case. personally I would install it seperately anyways, on an antistatic surface. it's just easier to manuever that way. yes, absolutely use a different thermal paste! most that come with heatsinks aren't that great.

definitely... because its way easier to install a giant heatsink on your system, then install it on your Case...

Okay thank you, everyone, for your advice. The parts should be arriving in less than an hour and then I'll be building. I'll be sure to post pics afterwhile, possibly tomorrow.

+1 If youre installing a aftermarket HSF you would need to install it while the motherboard is loose.

I learned this too late when installing the Tultra on my cpu. Had to unscrew my mobo again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom