Applying Thermal Compound

Status
Not open for further replies.
i usually apply a half of peasized amount and then spread it around gently with a credit card until it is smooth and about as thick as a piece of paper. then once that's done i throw the heatsink on and i usually press down hard on the CPU (with the HSF not yet attached) and move it around to get rid of any air bubles that may have formed. once i am confident there are no bubbles i then firmly attach the heatsink to the board. and then i am ready for some EXTREME overclocking.

i use
single core: dot method
dual core: line method
quad: x method

put the heatsink on with the mobo outside of the case (it is much easier)

apply the thermal past (depending on what method you use, for dot it should be a little smaller then a pea, for line it should be about 2mm thick and should go across the cpu but stay about 5mm away from the edges, for x the same thing as line except it over laps in the middle).
drop the cpu in the motherboard, and lock it in. push the heatsink down on it slightly, twist it a tad then lock it on. Make sure the thermal paste does not gush out over the cpu and on the motherboard when you put on the heatsink. IF that happens you put to much thermal paste and need to start over or clean it up a bit.

Don't spread the thermal paste, let the heatsink spread it out evenly. This ensures that the entire contact of the heatsink is even. If you spread it, it can leave thick spots or thin spots.

Don't apply the AS5, The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro comes with pre applied MX-2 thermal paste which is better.

^perhaps we should also mention that tx-2 thermal paste is currently the best, But it comes with pre applied mx-2 so don't worry about it. Unless you doing some decent ocing it doesn't really matter.

I always just use the dot method and then set the heatsink down on top; works for me.

Thanks for all the replies guys. What about being grounded? I'm going to be working on a desk which is like wood. I heard that I should touch the metal part of the case every so often to cancel out the static? And should I put the RAM/Vid card in too before I put the mobo in the case or after?

yeah just touch a non painted part of the comp (case, psu, ect) every few mins or before you touch a new component. But the whole static thing is way over exagerated. I have never had a problem.

EDIT: Beat me to it philbar...

EDIT 2: It does not really matter if the psu is plugged in mate. The static charge will dissipate threw out the case leaving it harmless.

You'll have to put the GPU in after you put the mobo in the case. RAM...its up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom