Anyone still uses floppy on a High End Gaming machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric0h

Over and Above Person
My friend sells me his floopy for 1 buck. And since my alienware which is 5 years old, used to have one but not its removed. So I have an empty tray with nothing to cover it.

Should I just buy it with him? But more importantly does anyone here have a high end machine with a floopy? and even If I do decide to use it, will it lower my performance? Not sure how demanding a floopy can be on a motherboard.

I pretty much just want to know if this can cause later problems. Thanks.

I feel like the more stuff you machine can handle the better it gets. This alienware case will be my PERMANENT case for life. So take that into consideration. (why you must wonder? It is the only case I can do GREAT cable management, it catches everybody's eye, and just looks indestructible.)

Re: Anyone still uses floopy on a High End Gaming machine?

lol, they are useless, people used to use them for like RAID Driver installation, but on Vista you can use a CD or Flash Disk for it, so its pretty much obsolete unless it comes with a Card Reader..

Flash disks have killed any need for a Floppy Disk

dang that sucks. So now I have to think if I am going to actually spend money on a card reader which I don't need, or just use this.

The hole simply looks horrible, but not sure if a floopy will make it look any better.

So what about the stress it might put into the motherboard?

What do you mean by stress on the mobo? Shouldn't really do anything as far as I know. I made a point to have a floppy in my machine but I've never actually used it. Why don't you just install it in the drive bay and not connect the ribbon cable? That way the hole is covered and you don't have to worry about it.

I have a floppy on mine :p.

Sometimes I just don't feel like burning an ISO of MemTest.

maybe just find a carder reader for the slot....I'm not very sure but maybe there are fan controllers that can fit in that spot...maybe one of those?

I haven't had a floppy since like...2002

Just use a USB stick

I put a floppy on my rig, I've used it once to transfer midi files from my pc to my digital piano. Thats about it. But, I think its a good thing to have, just in case all **** breaks loose and your floppy drive is your last resort.

Are there fan controllers for that size?

If so, give me link.

I have a floppy drive. Use it for random things every once in a while. Like yesterday I was flashing a drive to use with tivo and if it had been a Maxtor I may of needed to use a floppy. Not really a big deal to spend 10 bucks on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom