Anyone know what memory works best with Asus P5B-E mobod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
Anyone know what memory works best with Asus P5B-E mobod? Any specific brand? Also, will I notice a difference between the 667 or 800 speed?

Any memory.

G.Skill and OCZ are the most-recommended, although many more as respected.

DDR2-800 gives you a guaranteed 400Mhz from the memory, DDR2-667 gives you a guaranteed 333Mhz. The higher speed is preferred since it will let you overclock your CPU farther without worrying about the memory, and without breaking the 1:1 ratio with the FSB.

I just read some reports of some memory not being compatible and can't find which ones on the site.

If anything, its the memory that boots at higher than 1.8v, which actually seems to be most of the enthusiast memory. To avoid any problems, pick up one of these 256MB Corsair ValueSelect DDR2-533 sticks ($30). They will let you into the BIOS to change the boot voltage to 2.0v or 2.1v, after which you can install whichever 2 x 1GB DDR2-800 set you may have been considering.

Exactly. :p

Just kidding. No, its due to their problems that I present you with this solution. First of all, you haven't even described what problems they were having. So I told you the only memory problem I know of with the P5B motherboards, and the solution that others have found to it. Follow the above directions, and you shouldn't have any problems.

This is what I am looking at.
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
What is the difference between the 800 or the 667? No overclocking.

I have the Patriot DDR2 800 memory, booted right up with my Asus P5B deluxe wifi. And it is rated at 2.0+ volts

pretty sure most memory will work with the P5B, the g. skill at this time is the best price.

If not overclocking, then you can set a divider in your BIOS that will run your memory at DDR2-800 (400Mhz) or DDR2-667 (333Mhz) while keeping your FSB at 266Mhz (stock). Sometimes, the motherboard does this by itself, via an "auto" setting. This gets you slightly faster performance due to the faster memory speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom