Anyone here with a good gaming rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A computer is nothing like a light bulb... The components that are going to be most effected by the jolt of electricity are the one that are least likely to fail in the first place (mainly the CPU). Turning your computer off is better for any moving component EG: fans, HD, which are going to be the most likely thing to fail so best protect them.

3 285s cooking 24/7? i think not. Mine gets turned off when i go to bed, and back on when i get home from work. Why leave it running for 16 hours while i'm asleep/at work. Air conditioning is expensive.

3 285s cooking 24/7? i think not. Mine gets turned off when i go to bed, and back on when i get home from work. Why leave it running for 16 hours while i'm asleep/at work. Air conditioning is expensive.
Yea, I'm totally with you on that.

I don't want the heat in my room and I don't want to pay for the electricity to keep it running 24/7. I don't fold (not yet anyway) and have no reason to leave it on unless I'm running an overnight download or something. I figure the stress starting and shutting down the PC is very minimal and the cost to replace parts if they did fail is drowned by the electricity costs I would use to keep it running.

When I get my HTPC built I may consider leaving it on all the time to fold and...be a media PC, but it will use substantially less power than my desktop.

I disable my hibernation mode and all that, I do however keep my screen saver on now, and "turn monitor off after x minutes" since this is a new LCD and I keep it all shiny and good, but on my old CRT I never cared since it was gotten used (from family) and I knew I'd be replacing it.. amazingly nothing stuck on it's screen....

I keep my disc drives on mostly because when I get back and want to be on- I hate waiting the few moments to "rev them up" to get them going again. Not sure if it's so good on em , but they are supposed to be good for so many thousands of hours of use... and yea.. there's only 24 hours in a day..

I don't think the biggest problem is turning them off or leaving them on (other then heating the room or Air Conditioning bills and such) since most computers use a ton less power when on standby- even without the standby or hibernation on. I listen for about 20 mintues then my CPU fan starts to idle lower since nothing is going on, then again I got a brand new system, i7 and all so that could be why.

After a good night I wake my Monitor and my temps are around 35C in a horrible case. Messin with web pages and stuff it'll go up to 40C Games go from 45-70C depending on the game and how long.

Once I get my HAF case things will change I am sure. I wonder how many of you remember the Xbox360 problem was heating up and cooling down cycles which break it ... case setup might have the same effect on your PC, so make sure nothing is tension that doesn't need to be tension, no reason to physically break down your PC before its time.

Biggest thing I worry about is Air Flow to my case. Not turning it off. The only time I really turn it off is when I go to bed and think "Hmm.. I probably won't get on it first thing in the morning." Boot up is still seemingly long for me... when my new case comes and my new GPU I plan to format/reload the entire system and set it up for Prime Gaming.

I used to leave my PC on 24/7. But in efforts to cut my electricity bill I now turn it off whenever I'm not using it. Which is before I go to work and before I go to bed.

Those that say, "It doesn't cost you that much... Obviously don't pay the electric bills..." It does cost you a fairly good amount of money per month if you leave it on 24/7

Try this: Electricity Usage Calculator

My calculated monthly cost for my PC running 24/7 is about $33.00 USD. I have probably cut that in half over the last 6 months or so.

Over a year my PC running 24/7 using about 475w will cost me $432.80 per/year.

I'll shut mine down thanks.

20 bucks extra per month = 240 bucks extra each year. Thats a new video card. Reason enough to turn it off. If i left mine folding 24/7 i guarantee it would be more than 20 a month as when i'm running the machine at full tilt it pulls over 800 watts from my UPS, i know this because it tells me how much its pulling :)

^^ I pay my bills, and folding 24/7 on a vmware smp a winsmp 260 and 8800gt, is 3kw more per day then last year same billing term, and i wasn't folding more than a unicorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom