Anyone Else Think That Intel is ... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Brtnboarder495
Default Anyone Else Think That Intel is ...

pulling some serious crap. They say Conroe is to be such a great processor and all, yet all that's occured in the past few months has really raised suspicions. First, I've read they've been having problems with the chips, period. Next, the EE that was said to run at 3.33Ghz has been toned down to 2.97 (~3.0Ghz). To finish it off, Intel has not allowed any third party site to use the Conroe chips in their own builds, all the setups have been orgranized and "optimized" by Intel. After all these Intel vs. AMD wars, it's now fair to say that in gaming Intel's Conroe chips have somewhere between a 10%-30% performance lead, but that was under Intel's control (okay, so they used third-party sites as puppets). I think that Intel is definitely holding something back, as the expected Conroe release date grows nearer, they seem to be panicking.

Now I'm not saying that Conroe will be a complete failure an let down, but for the past few months they have been basically praising it and trying to get people excited about it, and they seem very confident it will suceed. So why not allow these sites to use the chips in their own reviews, that aren't as biased and/or controlled. I know for sure this is definitely a reason why I'll wait until they are officially released, and the benchmarks/comparisons are re-evaluated and compared against AMD's current offering. I really would'nt be shocked to disover that Conroe really doesn't stack up that great against AM2 as everyone expected.

Opinions?

Old 06-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

There are 3rd party places that have conroes. www.xtremesystems.com have some, there getting 10.2sec times in SuperPi 1MB and will soon break the 10sec barrier. AMD's world record is 20.*** seconds. Does that show you that conroe's performace is amazing.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

There have been third parties do some searching and in the end the Core 2 Duo still destorys the AM2.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 06-01-2006, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Yeah, there are several people on XtremeSystems with conroes. The 10s superpi, is pardon my french, [snipped] ... screw it I can;t even find a word to describe how preposterously fast that is.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Bulldog

what does 10s super pi mean? sorry but i know gigaflop, clock speed, cache and all that but i have no idea what you are talking about, im not that big of an overclocker so that dosent make much sense to me.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 06-01-2006, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I'm not sure on the meaning but I know it's related to the 4.0Ghz Conroe which is about a 4.33 AM2 in contrast.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 06-01-2006, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler1989
I'm not sure on the meaning but I know it's related to the 4.0Ghz Conroe which is about a 4.33 AM2 in contrast.
You mean 5.32 ( I think) 1.33x4 = 5.32
Old 06-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

And now you know why I stick with networking and not programing.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

wow...how much do you figure the conroe will cost? if it's this good?
Old 06-01-2006, 10:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
what does 10s super pi mean? sorry but i know gigaflop, clock speed, cache and all that but i have no idea what you are talking about, im not that big of an overclocker so that dosent make much sense to me.
It means it takes the processor roughly 10 seconds to calculate PI to 1 million digits...it isn't a unit like Hz or FLOPs but it's just a benchmarking utility that demonstrates the number crunching capability of a core

I don't think there is any question that conroe is going to be significantly faster and a much better price/performance sweet spot that anything else on the market, but I think that here in particular (possibly elseware, I don't know), it's been overhyped and I think that some people are swallowing everything they are being fed without considering how much sense it makes. I agree with you, the fact that they've dropped the 3.33GHZ XE is incredibly strange IMO

But, considering conroe is based on the same concept as the old dothan and P-Ms, it is safe to say it is FAST

eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Closed Thread