Anybody use a UPS on thier PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea it's ok, but seriously man I wouldn't go 3 way SLI or get a 1000watt PSU mate they are seriously over kill, cool yea but over kill.

Fair enough, I would urge you to get a UPS as soon as you can though mate.

I didn't buy mysystem, yet. Can ou confirim that the Monster HTS90 is bettr than the APC BR1500LCD? It has a 5 year warrenty, it's smaller, produces more watts, and looks better. I wantto buy it right now, because it' only $125 at the store.

There are two common systems in use today: standby UPS and continuous UPS. A standby UPS runs the computer off of the normal utility power until it detects a problem. At that point, it very quickly (in five milliseconds or less) turns on a power inverter and runs the computer off of the UPS's battery (see How Batteries Work for more information). A power inverter simply turns the DC power delivered by the battery into 120-volt, 60-Hertz AC power.

In a continuous UPS, the computer is always running off of battery power and the battery is continuously being recharged. You could fairly easily build a continuous UPS yourself with a largish battery charger, a battery and a power inverter. The battery charger continuously produces DC power, which the inverter continuously turns back into 120-volt AC power. If the power fails, the battery provides power to the inverter. There is no switch-over time in a continuous UPS. This setup provides a very stable source of power.

Source : HowStuffWorks "How does a computer's uninterruptible power supply (UPS) work?"

AKA Back Up and Online UPS

Cyberpower 1350AVR

3236838224_6b159cc6ab.jpg

3235994447_024706769d.jpg

Very nice :) static switch too?

I have the house fuses, the socket is fused, the 5 way plug is fused, 5 way is fused, plug to the pc is fused. Our power supply is also fairly steady I would rather spend an extra £50 on my mouse and keyboard thanks. I definately see the point in less stable power areas but ours is steady and with 5-6 fuses between my pc and the direct power I am fairly happy.

But when one of those fuses blows.....bugger

What are some good brands for UPS's? I might consider getting one.

APC does the trick of you got the money, otherwise liebert is another good brand...

Do these things ever run out of life? Kinda like surge protectors. Because they need replaced like every 5 years from the fuses wearing out on them.

Batteries should be replaced every 3 years tops, that is if the room temperature doesnt exceed 25 degrees C, otherwise you can kiss your battery life away...

Can someone teach me abot this UPS thing?I plan on using a 1000 watt i7 rig, with a 52" HDTV, with a home theter system, so I tink I might ned this a lot. I might get a Monster UPS.

Monster Cable® Products, Makers of High-Definition Multimedia (HDMI) Cables, Video Cables, Audio Cables for Home Theater and The World's Most Advanced In-Ear Headphones.

2KVA machine would probally do the trick if your just wanting something to keep stuff running for a few minutes...

I've got some nice 2200XL and 3000 APC UPS systems for my servers.

Very nice :)

I have a APC SU1000 on my server in my wardrobe(closet) and a little APC SU420 next to my pc, the power went out for about 2 hours the other day and i was able to keep gaming and internet until i found out that i hadn't yet put the external modem and router onto it :p, thats sorted now.

Also, not a good idea to put printers on UPS' (especially laser printers) unless the UPS is rated over 3KVA. Keep them in a cool space and you should get plenty of life out of them :)

Also, has anybody replaced the batteries themselves? Did you work out how to recalibrate the APC machines?

Never post 8 times in a row again, there is a edit button for a reason.

But when one of those fuses blows.....bugger

Then there are 4 more before it ever comes close to my pc. Plus where I live and the majority of the UK has very stable power due to the grid enabling power supplies be removed and added with no immediate impact on the power to peoples homes.

Oh the irony just had a power cut for 5 miutes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom