Anybody use a UPS on thier PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they are.
It plugs into your wall, and you plug your system into it.
If it detects a surge or drop in power, it will kick to battery.

For my home use, I find them irrelevant though.
Only system I run 24/7 is my server, and power only drops a few times a year. Protected by a nice APC powerbar for a surge so it's all good.

Business however is a necessity.
I've got some nice 2200XL and 3000 APC UPS systems for my servers.

Plus, the batteries are poop after 3 years, so they require a replacement..which of course isn't cheap.

Yes they are a massive battery, but they also offer surge protection and peace of mind.

And as for essential how much do you value your data before your last save? I had one but got rid of it recently to old and too loud but I am intending to replace it as soon as 1 a new rig roles in and the new server roles in, I will only be powering 2 systems a single monitor and and a router on it. As for what make an model I duno yet.

I've never used one, never seen a need to waste my money.

One of my buddies has one that he uses on his school bus to blast music all the time though. Perfect idea, :D

As i said before how much do you value your data since your last save? That will tell you if it is worth it.

Now as for cost the more you have to power the more it will cost, say you ran a comp with a 300 watt psu and a single monitor a cheepo £35 - 40 UPS will do you but if you have a dual monitor set up, a 500 watt PSU printer etc you will have to be looking at the the £100+ UPS's.

Just out of intrest why are you after a 1000 watt psu for most people it's over kill to a massive extent, think a nuke to kill a wasp.

For a media center? Sorry dude but that is nearly the definition of overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom