Any suggestions on this possible build? im noob so simplicity is appriciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

regret

Baseband Member
I went with this Alienware computer here,

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

with these specifications;

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-2600K (8MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 4.1GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
MEMORY 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
VIDEO CARD Dual 1.5GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 450 - SLI® Enabled
HARD DRIVE 2TB (2x 1TB) SATA II (3Gb/s) 7,200RPM (2x 32MB Cache)
ADDITIONAL HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
MEDIA READER Alienware® 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
MONITOR No Monitor (keeping my old one, 2000 moniter i got on sale for 90%)
SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
WIRELESS & BLUETOOTH 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1 EDR USB Combo Adapter
OPTICAL DRIVE Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (BDROM; DVD/CDBurner) and DVDRW

Is there any suggestions on switching parts, different computer entirely, etc.
Im going on about a $2200 limit, and the above comes out to 2000. MANY PLEASE AND THANK YOUS!

That is a machine and a half with some very nice specs. Very pricey too haha. One question: do you need that much hard drive space, it just seems like it may be going to waste?

It looks like you've got 450gts SLI? Would be be within your budget to go for a gtx in the 400 series (460gtx +) , I personally think the price difference may be worth your while.

I wanted the hard drive space so my comp will basically never lag again while im gaming.

Ya i chose the cheapest one of the duels so that the premade will come with the second spot and i can uprgade both when i have money for that piece. I also chose the sound card as the most basic with plans to upgrade.

I'm pretty certain, they use the same motherboard for all builds... So getting 2 lower cards isn't too smart.. just get the 1 decent card.

The sound card isn't really need with todays motherboards.

Is this for gaming? You can easily run a 2500k on most if not all games and see the same performance as sz 2600k.

As a heads up, alot of people find alienwares abit over priced. Though I justs built that basic setup for a freind and it was under $1800 but not extras that Alienware provides.

The amount of space on your hard drive isn't going to effect gaming, unless you don't have enough room to install it.

The downside to having 2 video cards is that when you want to upgrade they usually both come out, better off getting 1 card at the same price as the two, then buying a 2nd of that better card to SLi/Crossfire when you want to upgrade.

Paton has the right of it for gaming, the 2500k is plenty.
Same goes for the RAM, unless you do a ton of multi-tasking 8GB is more than enough, 16GB is just a waste.

I would seriously consider building your own. With a $2-2,200 budget you could build something quite a bit better yourself.
Components are easy, people here would be more than willing to help you pick out optimal parts within your budget.
The only question is, did you ever play with legos as a kid?
Seriously though, there is pretty much only 1 place and way each part can be plugged in, check out the animated guide for building a computer and decide if its something you'd be comfortable doing.

I had the tendency to throw my lego's in frustration....

I'm willing, but its not like theres much discussion that would be needed i think, id just need to be told whats the best for my price range, id wait a while to see if someone else contradicts it, then go with it.

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (Rev 3.1) $170.
Processor: Intel i5 2500k $220.
Video Card: EVGA GTX570 Superclocked $315.
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X at 1600MHz $80.
Power Supply: Corsair HX650 $100.
Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit $95.

These are the building blocks, the rest comes down to personal preference.

Optical Drive: Asus Black BD/DVD/CD-Rom DVD/CD-Burner $60.
(This does everything, not sure if you need a 2nd one)
Hard Drive: 1TB WD Caviar Black $80.
(1TB is a ton of space, not sure what to use as a reference)
Media Reader: Xigmatek 3.5" 75 in 1 card reader $14.
(Personally don't use one, no harm in having it though)
Wireless: Encore 802.11 b/g/n USB adapter $13.50
(Bluetooth is built into the motherboard)
Keyboard: Logitech G110 $53.
(Personal preference)
Mouse: Logitech G400 $50.
(Threw a dart at the board...)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Sniper $130.
(Its up to you to decide what you want to look at)

Total = $1,380.50
I guess I trimmed out too much fat, that is way under budget.
Its late, I'm tired, maybe I missed something.
I'm sure someone else will come along to clean it up a bit (and suggest the obligatory SSD).

thank you. if someone wants to change the title to something cathier feel free!
im waiting until about december to start buying the parts, so by then hopefully more people will join and come to an agreement on the best possible comp for 2200 and under
thanks guys i love you! xD

I would like an emphasis on the building blocks and have some sort of dedicated cooling system if thats possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom