Any suggestions on this possible build? im noob so simplicity is appriciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
would not a i7 > i5 ?
Not really. The i7 is about 1-5% faster but 30-40% more expensive. And that 1-5% doesn't even apply to games, there's literally no difference if it's just for gaming (that's what I assume the build is for).

and 8 gb enough memory?
More than plenty for gaming. 4GB is generally enough, 8GB is just icing on the cake.

If you really want to spend it all, then I highly recommend getting an SSD for the OS and programs.

well, they both actually come out to about the same price, and the difference is that with mine i get x3 office, which i could then put onto my gfs computer

If you really want to spend it all, then I highly recommend getting an SSD for the OS and programs.

elaborate please

edit: there was one with the x3 in the deals section

SSDs, or Solid State Drives, are basically really, really fast hard drives - usually about 5 times faster than your average hard drive. As a result boot times and game loading are a lot faster, and everything OS-related opens instantly.
It's a fairly new tech, so the drives are very small compared to current hard drives; a 60GB SSD costs about the same as the largest hard drives available. But they're worth it; I have a 60GB one and it makes computing so much easier.

are any of these good deals? i ask because some of them are including pieces we havnt chosen yet, so i have no idea
@_@

http://www.newegg.com/Special/Combo...&action=search&SortField=0&PageSize=100&Page=

i didnt see any other deals pertaining to anything in the list so far

SSDs, or Solid State Drives, are basically really, really fast hard drives - usually about 5 times faster than your average hard drive. As a result boot times and game loading are a lot faster, and everything OS-related opens instantly.
It's a fairly new tech, so the drives are very small compared to current hard drives; a 60GB SSD costs about the same as the largest hard drives available. But they're worth it; I have a 60GB one and it makes computing so much easier.

as long as i have someone to tell me what to buy, and how to set up, im all for it. I'm pretty good with computers when their on, but the insides, set up etc im 100% clueless, besides the fact that id be watching that site thats been posted twice every step of the way

Regret, I'm starting to think you're not even reading these posts.

The combo link I posted was Win7 and the 3-user version of MS office, I actually put "3-User" in the link.

I posted a Solid State Drive explanation and suggestion already in this thread. Page 2, 4th post from the bottom.
Yami offered another SSD suggestion on the same page, 3rd post from the bottom.

There is another thread on this site about building yourself (there are actually quite a few).
Here is the link, 5th post down Fat.Clown linked a video that walks you through the whole process.
The beginning is explaining what is going in to the build, if you want you can skip ahead to 5:30 (titled External Build) to get into the meat of it.

I posted a Solid State Drive explanation and suggestion already in this thread. Page 2, 4th post from the bottom.
Sorry, I forgot about that; I assumed that had been a different thread since he asked.

Regret, I'm starting to think you're not even reading these posts.

The combo link I posted was Win7 and the 3-user version of MS office, I actually put "3-User" in the link.

that hurts
=(
ive read every post like 3 times a day, being over eager for responses haha.

i hadnt forgot about your explanation, it was basically the same as he had said, what i meant in asking for elaboration was how hard it would be to actually set up, not what the ssd actually was
=(

and i had clicked on the link and i didnt remember seeing a x3 on it, i guess i was mistaken.
But because i tried proving you wrong, that shows i am reading the posts because i read it, and i did indeed search newegg for deals and sign up for the newsletter

Looking at all the posts (mostly Roark and Yami) I think the suggestion is at the current time:

(yeah I did alter it a little, feel free to alter etc)

Motherboard + Processor: Asus P8P67 Pro (REV 3.0) + Intel i5 2500k
$370
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX570 SC
$340 - [ $7.87 Shipping ]
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X at 1600MHz
$80
Case + Power Supply: Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue + Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Series 800W
$285
Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
$90 - [ free shipping ]
SSD: Kingston HyperX 2.5" 120GB
$270 - [ free shipping ]
Optical Drive: Samsung Black DVD-ROM CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive
$55 - [ free shipping ]
Front Bay Card Reader: Rosewill Internal Card Reader
$14 - [ free shipping ]
Wireless Adapter: Linksys Wireless-N Adapter
$50 - [ free shipping ]
Keyboard: Logitech G110 Black USB Wired LED Backlighting Gaming Keyboard
$55 - [ free shipping ]
Mouse: Razer - Imperator 2012
$80
Mouse Mat: SteelSeries 9HD Gaming Pad
$35 - [$2.99 Shipping ]

Software
Operating System + Office : Windows 7 64-bit OEM + Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student 3-User
$209

= ~$1,935.00 (that's what I got and it'll change about a bit)
+ shipping costs [ ~$10.86+ ]

considering most pieces are around 200-300, was the hard drive and ram down graded to fit the price?

Was the hard drive and ram down graded to fit the price?
From your original build from Alienware? Yes.

1) 3TB is a grotesque amount of space, you're currently using 380GB, 1TB is 2.5x (and change) larger (plus the 120GB SSD).
If you're just looking at prices combine the Hard Drive and SSD price since they essentially serve the same function.

2) The RAM was... side-graded. For a gamer you will never use 16GB no matter what game you're playing.
The amount of RAM was decreased, but the speed was increased.

*Edit - Fairplay's total doesn't include mail in rebates, shipping, or potential promotions you may come across.
If you're just looking to burn the budget close your eyes, point at the screen, and upgrade that component.
Honestly this setup as it is will blow away any games that are out, or in near-future development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom