Any n00b can build a pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmmmm I once said 'I could teach a monkey to build a computer, but it takes a tech to figure out what went wrong' Its easy to build a computer, and half the time nothing goes wrong, 45% of the time its just a minor problem. That 5% is the part where you need to learn, adapt, and THINK. Thinking is something 90% of the population either don't know how to do, or are just to lazy to do. You'll probably be fine building it yourself, as you said you've had prior exp installing hardware, your thinking about building a pc, and your asking questions..... that basicly tells me you'll do fine. BTW wash your hands before you go handling stuff, oil on your fingers are not the best thing for components.

You don't need much in the lines of a toolkit, just a screw driver or two, anti static strap, everything else is optional.... pair of needle nose pliers come in handy at times, zipties can tidy up messy wiring, compressed air can(unless you have an aircompressor), and a massive assortment of screws you save from every computer build you've ever made, AS5 if you plan on installing a HSF, some 99% isopropyl alcohol or cleaning the old thermal paste off. [COLOR=EEF2F6]and of course a dremel, a hacksaw, some glue, a sledge hammer, ohhhhhh and the manditory 18 pack of beer.[/COLOR]

I built my first ever pc about 3 weeks ago. Only really been insterested in computers for about 6 months and i thought it was quite a doddle. lol i didnt even take into account static charge i might have on me when installing the components but luckily i got away with it and everything works fine and dandy. Some people are to paranoid that they are going to screw up but if you have the confidence then anyone can do it. (within reason of course)

my first computer build was replacing my grandma's 486 lol, that was a long time ago, can anyone say 133mhz? oh yeah windows95. anyway things are better now, with ATX and all. i also like the newer ram sockets they are better than "snap in" ones of old.

if you get an amd processor that comes with a heatsink and fan you DO NOT need to apply heatsink compond, as there is already a grey square of it there for you. if you decide you want a better compound, COMPLETELY remove the grey square before applying the 3rd party compound.

the general said:
if you get an amd processor that comes with a heatsink and fan you DO NOT need to apply heatsink compond, as there is already a grey square of it there for you. if you decide you want a better compound, COMPLETELY remove the grey square before applying the 3rd party compound.

yeah you can do this by taking something lint free, like a coffee filter, and wiping the gray stuff off with 80%+ isoprobyl (sp?) alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom