Any n00b can build a pc - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 03:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Newb Techie

what's a good tool kit for comp. building? I don't have any tools and I think I will need some

Old 04-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

mmm just check out newegg, they have them on there,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16899888202

that's the cheapest one i could find

Old 04-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
Sui
Ultra Techie

hmmmmm I once said 'I could teach a monkey to build a computer, but it takes a tech to figure out what went wrong' Its easy to build a computer, and half the time nothing goes wrong, 45% of the time its just a minor problem. That 5% is the part where you need to learn, adapt, and THINK. Thinking is something 90% of the population either don't know how to do, or are just to lazy to do. You'll probably be fine building it yourself, as you said you've had prior exp installing hardware, your thinking about building a pc, and your asking questions..... that basicly tells me you'll do fine. BTW wash your hands before you go handling stuff, oil on your fingers are not the best thing for components.

You don't need much in the lines of a toolkit, just a screw driver or two, anti static strap, everything else is optional.... pair of needle nose pliers come in handy at times, zipties can tidy up messy wiring, compressed air can(unless you have an aircompressor), and a massive assortment of screws you save from every computer build you've ever made, AS5 if you plan on installing a HSF, some 99% isopropyl alcohol or cleaning the old thermal paste off. and of course a dremel, a hacksaw, some glue, a sledge hammer, ohhhhhh and the manditory 18 pack of beer.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I built my first ever pc about 3 weeks ago. Only really been insterested in computers for about 6 months and i thought it was quite a doddle. lol i didnt even take into account static charge i might have on me when installing the components but luckily i got away with it and everything works fine and dandy. Some people are to paranoid that they are going to screw up but if you have the confidence then anyone can do it. (within reason of course)
Old 04-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
The Bulldog

my first computer build was replacing my grandma's 486 lol, that was a long time ago, can anyone say 133mhz? oh yeah windows95. anyway things are better now, with ATX and all. i also like the newer ram sockets they are better than "snap in" ones of old.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 04-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

if you get an amd processor that comes with a heatsink and fan you DO NOT need to apply heatsink compond, as there is already a grey square of it there for you. if you decide you want a better compound, COMPLETELY remove the grey square before applying the 3rd party compound.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:51 PM   #37 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to infiltrator7

Quote:
Originally posted by the general
if you get an amd processor that comes with a heatsink and fan you DO NOT need to apply heatsink compond, as there is already a grey square of it there for you. if you decide you want a better compound, COMPLETELY remove the grey square before applying the 3rd party compound.
yeah you can do this by taking something lint free, like a coffee filter, and wiping the gray stuff off with 80%+ isoprobyl (sp?) alcohol.

JOIN THE 24 ZONE FORUMS
Old 04-26-2006, 07:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

don't use the "gray square" you're better off putting AS5 on your cpu

Closed Thread