Any n00b can build a pc - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 01:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Any n00b can build a pc

Any n00b can build a pc .

Thats what i have been told by many people, but when i ask other people they say that it is just an easier way to ruin a new system. Is it really that hard to build a pc from scratch. I have just decided to order a new bunch of hardware for a new gaming pc and was wondering if i should get the company (Nin Tek) to build it for me. it will cost $70 AUS. IS that alot? i have basic knowlege in computer building (adding components etc.) just not building one from scratch.

thanks tor

Old 04-24-2006, 02:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Adding components and building from scratch are the same thing exept that when building from scratch you have to install the operating system (which if using Windows is very easy).

Go ahead and build it yourself, it's easy.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

$70 probably isn't bad as the prices around Australia go i think average is $100 for a build. keep in mind though you would probably have to pay extra for delivery.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

when they assemble it you don't have to worry about DOA.. and if they include formatting HDD and installing OS, well you've saved yourself a good 4 hours there... but you're losing out on the fun.. lol..
Old 04-24-2006, 05:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

im gonna build myself thanks guys. i might need your help in the near future when i get it :P:P:P
Old 04-24-2006, 07:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Personally I always build myself but I don't really recommend it, there are lots of things that can go wrong and you can save yourself big headaches but getting someone who knows what they're doing to build it for you.

I've seen some sorrys things thats noobs have built.. i've seen heatsinks pop off under load and fry the CPU, ram in wrong configurations or just not seated correctly, completely unoptimised bios settings static fried components, mobos fried with shortouts from wrong connections...

Make you want to take the noobs head and ram it though the monitor... maybe thats just me
XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Old 04-24-2006, 08:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to FlashDude

Quote:
Originally posted by MrCoffee
Personally I always build myself but I don't really recommend it, there are lots of things that can go wrong and you can save yourself big headaches but getting someone who knows what they're doing to build it for you.

I've seen some sorrys things thats noobs have built.. i've seen heatsinks pop off under load and fry the CPU, ram in wrong configurations or just not seated correctly, completely unoptimised bios settings static fried components, mobos fried with shortouts from wrong connections...

Make you want to take the noobs head and ram it though the monitor... maybe thats just me
WORD!!!

It is easy just follow all the instructions find yourself an online building guide, (tigerdirect has a good one) and think things threw.

A good example of people messing things up, there's a guy in here that couldn't get the screws tight enough,,,He wasn't using standoff's like omg!!
Old 04-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I'd only build it if you have an in-depth guide in how to building one. When I build mine I had a very good guide in a magazine to show me how all these new components nowadays work. If I didn't have that, I would've got it assembled.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by cyrax
I'd only build it if you have an in-depth guide in how to building one. When I build mine I had a very good guide in a magazine to show me how all these new components nowadays work. If I didn't have that, I would've got it assembled.
Gentlemen, Please....mobo in the case, attach drives, cables, frontside connectors, power supply and cables, memory sticks. Boot and load system. Simple as that. However, if you do not have the proper tools that is where you get into trouble. Anti-static mat, anti-static wrist band and appropriate tool kit. Pecautionary note: if you can't identify most of the components you see listed above...............have someone else build it for you.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Yeah, exactly. And you don't need all that anti-static crap, you only need to ground yourself.

Closed Thread