Any heads up when starting my own Desktop Selling company?

Rigorous

Beta member
Anyone selling the service of putting together computer parts and selling the final product?
I'm not looking to replace my day job, I'd just like a hand in the business. I wanted to know your experiences.

I've only put together a computer once before.

Some cases have a brand on the front. Is it legal to relocate that brand and put my own in a more prominent place?

I was doing it for a while until the economy dried up as did my customers, I mostly did it by word of mouth from happy customers. I did it a little different, What I did so everyone got exactly what they wanted was to charge a flat rate for my part and parts for there system. They gave me a budget and I put together a list of all the components for them with the prices so they ALL knew they were not getting robbed and if I used cheap parts it would only hurt me on fixing it later. If any parts came in DOA it was my loss for shipping the RMA but it came out of the flat rate I mentioned, Originally I charged $100 but when prices started going up on everything I went to $150 and give them one year give or take for any service calls they needed or if anything went wrong with there system, I have received only 3 calls so far and two was something they did in windows and wasn't working right and one had a bad power wire and his system wouldn't turn on, I took it to my house and plugged it in and it work perfect so I called him and said it was working so it may be either the cord or power strip, I have extra cords so I gave him a new one. I do get a lot of calls from old customers but it's usually to find out if I'm still doing it because there friend want's a system or they recommended me to work on another system. Now I mostly get calls for either upgrading or repair of older systems and I charge WAY less than geek squad (They rip off so many people) Have one I'm picking up from the father of a old customer this weekend, He got a system from best buy and paid extra for warranty wit geek squad. Funny thing is they will fix it under warranty BUT want to charge $35 an hour to find out what is wrong with it to see if it's a warranty issue LOL. I simply charge $30 and parts if it's something simple, It goes up to $50 if there is any major work needed. From what he tells me I think it's the power supply so might be a 15 minute job finding out.

If you do this all I will say is use quality parts, If you use a cheap power supply and it fries the entire system then they will be looking at you to replace it. I also keep a record of the build and have the receipts online at Newegg.com if anything needs to be replaced. there are factory warranties and you will be the one dealing with it so keep records of what you purchased for them so they don't add a bestbuy item and have it go bad and forget they put it in and want you to replace it.

Dauntae

Last edited:
I do the same thing I do here. People come to me with a task, I ask their budget and purpose, toss THEM a list of parts, have them buy their stuff, put it together for them, then charge them a flat rate after. If they deviate to buying any unquality important parts I warn them before hand and if they buy it I have them sign a waiver making me not responsible for their idiocy.

Back
Top Bottom