any benefit of e6600 over e2180 overclocked ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

illnastyimpreza

In Runtime
Since I'm going to be overclocking anyway... WHAT is the biggest difference between CPU's besides the speed ?

l2 Cache ? - how does this effect performance ?

and while we're at it... What processors am I limited it that do NOT use the new bios like the wolfdales ?

Since I'm going to be overclocking anyway... WHAT is the biggest difference between CPU's besides the speed ?

l2 Cache ? - how does this effect performance ?

and while we're at it... What processors am I limited it that do NOT use the new bios like the wolfdales ?

i don't exactly understand the question but yes other than clock a CPU with the same architecture (as most Core 2 Duos do) the L2 cache is a large factor. an E6600 at 3.4ghz compared to an E2180 at 3.4ghz might still see a 10-15% difference on average. Some applications use more l2 cache and others use less. Since the E6600 has 3mb more cache than the e2180 it's noticeable at the same speed in benchmarks at least.

Still though for the price of an e2180 they are awesome.

well I'm only going to be playing Age of Conan... I'm trying to see if it would matter really...

afaik its basicly all graphics in that game...

You just need a good GPU and you're fine..

even though the e6600 has a good 4mb cache, but the e2180 overclocks better

well I'm only going to be playing Age of Conan... I'm trying to see if it would matter really...

afaik its basicly all graphics in that game...

Here is what i recommend...get a chip such as the e2180 and a cheap mobo to overclock it on. Perhaps someone has a used one that they could sell or you can check out newegg's open box mobos. I have had 3 good open box mobos in a row and 2 came with all accessories not that thats really too important.

Please post your max budget and what you need and i will help you the best i can. I don't wear the title in my avatar for no reason.

Here is what i recommend...get a chip such as the e2180 and a cheap mobo to overclock it on. Perhaps someone has a used one that they could sell or you can check out newegg's open box mobos. I have had 3 good open box mobos in a row and 2 came with all accessories not that thats really too important.

Please post your max budget and what you need and i will help you the best i can. I don't wear the title in my avatar for no reason.

EDIT: hehe thanks sora, I actualy just posted my planned build in my other thread.... let me get it real quick....

ok then, I guess I'll save the 120 bucks and just go for the e2180 :)

thanks guys....can't wait to get her built !

ok heres my build:
Newegg.com - Antec NSK4480 Black/ Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel construction ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - ECS N8800GTS-512MX GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - OCZ ReaperX HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors
Newegg.com - EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

ok then, I guess I'll save the 120 bucks and just go for the e2180 :)

thanks guys....can't wait to get her built !

i wouldnt recommend an e6600 anyway...if you wanted a good brand new chip better than an e2180 or well WORTH it the E7200 would be best. However for now just get the e2180 and overclock the **** out of it...for the price you can't beat it. If you ever need something better you only paid 65 bucks for it anyway and im sure you would net 70% of that back if you sold it easily within a year even probably.

now I just have to figure out if the new 45nm technology is worth it on my mobo...

I'm being told the wolfdale is not great on it.

iether way... I would rather save the money and go e2180 :)

yeah the 680i is no good with 45nm wolfdales. but you could give it a go i guess. the 680i was really made for the 65nm kentsfields and conroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom