Anti-static Mod-Mat - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Anti-static Mod-Mat

Ive done some research and came down to the conclusion that a anti static wrist strap was a fairly good idea when building with $2000 woth of pc parts.

Since i plan on doing just that i purchased a mod mat for $40 and have an odd question for someone who might be more electrically inclined than myself.

Basically its a rubber surface with 2 metal pins installed, one for a ground wire (attach to a case thats plugged in or a ground wire) and one pin for the anti-static bracelet. It sounds fine and dandy, but what puzzles me is the two pins punched into the rubber mat are in no way connected, furthermore rubber doesent conduct last i checked so how does the strap get to the ground?

Could i go even further to say that since the pin for the anti static strap is stapled through exposing the metal to a potentially static charged surface making you at that charge making this do more harm than good?

Youtube video:

Old 05-21-2011, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Anti-static Mod-Mat

Since they are the same material and in the same shape, they have the same potential difference, which will keep everything attached to them in electrostatic equilibrium. It's an open-ended circuit, ending on the pins. They'll conduct no matter if they have a ground or not, they're metal and have a large amount of free electrons for current to flow through.
2600k 16GB RAM 120GB SSD 4TB HDD GTX 1080
15" Retina MBP || 64GB Nexus 6P || 64GB iPad Air 2
Steel Band Huawei Watch || Sony RX100 IV Camera iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
Closed Thread