Antec Silver 5 compund....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant7701

Solid State Member
Is it worth it??? Gonna start assembly soon and was wondering if you guys say its a must or what? I am using EVGA Micro X58 board with the i7 920 CPU. Antec 900 case. Not gonna be gaming....mostly media and such but I want to know whats the percentage of users here that will not build a PC w/o it? If my post sounds like I am a complete noob.....sorry but I somewhat am.

also.....the CPU heatsink and fan that comes with the i7.....should I upgrade or am I ok just using the OEM one???

If you're aren't gaming and only using media programs there really isn't a need for a 920. Unless you're doing video editing or some intensive programming. Why not save money and get something cheaper?

Is it worth it??? Gonna start assembly soon and was wondering if you guys say its a must or what? I am using EVGA Micro X58 board with the i7 920 CPU. Antec 900 case. Not gonna be gaming....mostly media and such but I want to know whats the percentage of users here that will not build a PC w/o it? If my post sounds like I am a complete noob.....sorry but I somewhat am.

also.....the CPU heatsink and fan that comes with the i7.....should I upgrade or am I ok just using the OEM one???

Well, I think you should get a cheap heatsink for it either way..

I find that the stock cooling is utter crap.

Tuniq TX-2 is cheaper and better than AS5

lol....no. Not overclocking at all. Like I said not gaming or anything. I dont even know how to overclock really. I'll live with what it is. And yes I did mean Artic Silver 5....sorry. Well....my question is then....should I use any compound or is it OK if I just run without it?

Also....anyone got an i7 heatsink/fan that you would recommend???

You need compound for the heatsink. Some heatsinks come with it already applied, some don't. But if you buy one without it pre-applied, then you will want to buy the compound I linked you to in my first post, that is the same one that Verong recommended too.

If you're aren't gaming and only using media programs there really isn't a need for a 920. Unless you're doing video editing or some intensive programming. Why not save money and get something cheaper?

Well....my videocard came with Call of duty that I might.....might pop in and play a bit. Mind you I have it on Xbox 360 so I'm not gonna be going crazy or anything. I used to play WoW a few years back but I dont think Im gonna start that up again.....so no gaming in the foreseeable future. Mostly internet surfing, itunes, etc...

as far as getting something cheaper.....you mean my build in general? Well...my last PC build was 5 years ago consisting of a celeron processor that I upgraded to a Pent 4. So....I dont plan on touching this one for atleast 3 years.....atleast wanna get something that'll hold up.

Ohh....plus Im one of those guys that loves Tech stuff....trust me. Do you kow how hard it was for me not to pick up 2 GTX 295s and a few Tb HDDs.....just for the **** of it. LOL

OK so i'll pick up some compound. Anyone with a good heatsink link?

Arctic Silver 5 was once the King of the Hill. But they haven't improved on it in years and other companies have developed some pretty good products. It's been awhile since I've tested any pastes but I did a review a year or so ago. Here's a link.
Appetite for Tech | Reviews

I'm alway suggesting users buy an aftermarket cooler even if they don't overclock. Not only does it give you the option of overclocking, but your expensive cpu is going to run cooler and more efficiently.

This would be a fairly economical heatsink that's not overly huge. Expect to pay $20 to $30 more for a top of the line.
Xigmatek HDT-S1283V Dark Knight HDT Universal CPU Cooler Products Model: CAC-SXHH3-U05 [CAC-SXHH3-U05] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

My 940 stock heatsink worked better than expected. But it is an i7 so it would be good to protect it.

Don't upgrade your stock HSF unless you're overclocking. It has thermal compound already on it, so you don't need to get any.

Later on, if you want to overclock, you can grab something else.

Stock HSF's work just fine for regular use, I don't recommend spending the money until you are ready for overclocking or you live in a ridiculously hot environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom