Another System

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoHBoY

Solid State Member
Hello there,

Is it possible to get some advice on a system

I felt I had to post because of the vasy array of hardware out there I'm completely baffled, sorry if my questions have been answered in other posts but wanted to get a full picture for myself

After a gaming PC, started playing me BF2 and have to run it all on low settings and it runs ok but sometimes can be a bit jerky...

I've never really had a PC before where I could run the game to it's full glory which is what I'm after

1. CPU

What features am I looking for here that are solely to make gaming the dog's danglies ?
Is it worth going to a 64Bit AMD or should I go Intel ?

Looking to spend around £140 - $260

2. Mobo

What's the ideal mobo nowadays, assuming 1 with PCI-X is it not worth going for SLI at all thinking about future proofing slightly or would it be better crossing this bridge when I came to it
What features am I looking for in a mobo

Looking to spend around £100 - $185

3. GFX Card

This is one thing that's baffling me alot I have no idea which would be ideal or what to look for

Looking to spend around £200 - $360

4. Memory

For ram is it worth going for DDR2 or DDR400 sufficient if say I got 1 GB

Looking to spend around £100 - $185

These are the 4 components I could really do with some help on, am I deviding me funds up where they are needed or do you think I should look to spending more or less out of the total on different items

Any reply twud be terrific

Cheers TIA

DOHBOY

Ok #1: For gaming AMD is REALLY the way to go, your dumb / fanboy if you dont. Get an Athlon 64, not really fammilar with UK prices so try to get a venice core 3200, 3500 or a 3700+ San Diego core.

#2: Motherboard, I recomend the DFI Lanparty SLI-DR. You want a board that supports PCI-E, not PCI-X. PCI-X is completly dififerent.

#3: You should be able to afford a 7800GT / 7800GTX. Try to look for evga, leadtek (winfast) or BFG.

#4: AMD systems only support DDR and not DDR2 now, but due to the intergrated memory controller DDR400 peforms better than DDR533 on an intel system. Try to get 2x 1 gig sticks

Thx DJ-Chris really appreciate the reply

I meant PCI Express with the PCI-X thought that would of been short hand for it :p

What's PCI - X ?

So primarily look for an AMD System then ?

^ that seems good

PCI-X is a 64 bit version of PCI used in server platforms for fiber connections, gigabit LAN and SCSI arrays.

Thx for that will seek out this hopefully in UK

Cool so just go for PCI-Express ?

Oh forgot to ask earlier, so will this run say BF2 with all settings cranked up to the full and still run sweet in say 1024x768

Which version of windows would run this best ?

After getting a 19"TFT aswell decided to upgrade me good ole CRT

You should run BF2 perfectly fine. The 7800GTX will make your FPS outstanding. The RAM, MOBO, and Processor are top of the line. YOu have a high class PC built there. Only thing is.. On the DFI lanboard there is intergrated sound. Some say it is great, some say it isnt. You might want to invest in a sound card. The Audigy 2 is a great soundcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom