Another new build up for review please

Story of my life lol.

I should just set my budget $300-$400 less than what I'm honestly willing to spend from now on. That way I don't hate myself as much afterwards.

But I'm sure the money is well worth the quality system it'll build. Plus (if my last rig is any indicator) I won't be doing this again for at least a few years =]

Pointless.

Would you mind explaining? Just for the curious individual in me, don't take it as me being rude or anything... cause I can see how that comment may come off.

But looking at some benchmarks, the i7 got 10k while the i5 got 7k roughly. Not sure if that's even any indication of real-world performance or not.

Also, talking to a friend that has an i7 (which is where the question came from), he suggests I should get an aftermarket heatsink pronto since the i5/i7's get really hot and the stock heatsink/fan setups are garbage (which I knew already).

If you got some time to read, I explain in this thread. There is more on page 2 as well.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

To put it here, I'll start out with, Passmark is a BS benchmark (coming from a reviewer), and synthetic benchmarks don't indicate any real world performance let alone gaming. That being said, HT is absolutely pointless for gaming as games don't utilize virtual threads. In some games HT can even hamper performance.

The stock heatsinks do suck, but for stock clocks they are perfectly fine as long as your ambient temps aren't ridiculously high. Most people tend to forget that i7s run warm due to having HT, and the newer Haswell chips have some of the VRM circuitry built in which also adds to the heat. Though, for warranty purposes, and the fact that you said you won't overclock there isn't a need for aftermarket unless you start seeing your CPU hit 80+C at full load.

Now, it's perfectly ok to not believe me, so I went ahead and grabbed some reviews I trust. As you can see, most games are a small variable difference and some can be up to 8FPS. Not worth the 100 extra bucks at all.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/
AnandTech | The Haswell Review: Intel Core i7-4770K & i5-4670K Tested (bottom, unfortunately no 4670k)
Intel Core i5-4670K Gaming Performance | bit-tech.net
Core i7 4770K processor review - Game performance - Far Cry 2 | Crysis 2

Just giving you an idea, and to see how they compare against the 6 core i7s too (like mine), as well as AMD counterparts. For the record, I leave HT off on my rig. I won't steer you in the direction of lag, and I don't tell anybody to get an i7 unless it's necessary. The 4670k is even perfectly fine for moderate video editing, Photoshop, rendering, ect. I only tell people who use those programs on a daily basis to go i7.

Very thorough, very helpful! I do appreciate the time you took to explain it for me. Like I said, don't take it as me being angry or mad at you or anything. Simply like things explained so I can learn something. And I have =D

Now, on to your comment about rendering. I don't photoshop, nor do I video edit. But I will be using a LOT more 3D modeling than I do right now (dang, probably should have mentioned the intended uses for this rig in detail in the beginning...). That's not to say I'll be rendering daily, or even much. But I will be using CAD/CAM programs and I intend to use this to create the 3D models for my CNC machines (that will be purchased down the road a ways) and 3D printer (February delivery date). But since I want this machine to last a solid 3-5 years, I feel I should start considering these things now rather than later. The extra 100 now sounds way better than a 400 new CPU later...

But thankfully I'm pretty sure (if anything) the CPU is the only thing slightly lacking. I can always buy another set of RAM when the time comes, hard drives are no big deal, the GPU should be able to handle anything I can throw at it and then some, and the rest of it should hold its own very well. So I guess what I need to be asking is: with all that I should have mentioned in the beginning, does the i5 recommendation still stand? And if not, could OCing it get me to where I want/need?

Again, thanks a million for your help. I'd be lost without this forum =)

Back
Top Bottom