Another 'Look at my list and tell me what needs fixing' Thread :D - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Another 'Look at my list and tell me what needs fixing' Thread :D

I'm looking to build myself a decent machine. I'll be buying parts here and there over the next couple of months. Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback on what I'm planning on getting. Especially if you have experience with anything on my list, if you liked it or hated it, and whether its recommended. Nothing is concrete except the case and mouse that I've already picked up. TIA for the help guys.

List

Oh, and my budget is right around what the list is totaling to now, but if i can cut any corners that would be great, or if I have to go up a bit.. I suppose I could stretch my wallet a little further.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: Another 'Look at my list and tell me what needs fixing' Thread :D

You want to cut corners? Mmm

Coolermaster 500 Watt
Coolermaster *RS-500-ASAA iGreen Power 500W Power Supply at ZipZoomfly
64.99$ After rebate Free shipping

E4300
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8GHz 800MHz FSB 2MB Cache LGA775 Retail at ZipZoomfly
168.99 free shipping

Basically Look around at zipzoomfly. As some things are cheaper and all products have free shipping.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Personally I would stay away from Western Digital. Seagate are really the only HDD products that I have used that actually Last more than a year and I only purchase them for my shop. Just a suggestion but I would stick with Seagate all the way and just drop the others. Plus, Seagate is the only company (that I know of) with a 5 year warranty on all of their products.

Kidwell28
Old 03-22-2007, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Patron

wait till the summer and there will be the e6420 e6320 (which will have extra cache and be the same as the e6600 in features) and the e4320 (the same as the current e6300 and e6400) prices should also be cheaper
Old 03-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Good call on the WD's. I actually agree completely. Updated the List with two of these instead

I am also planning on waiting for the Q2 price drops / new cpus and see how things are.

What's the least amount of wattage for a PSU for a build like this? I'd like to keep it a modular one.

Is there another motherboard recommendation? I was kind of disappointed when I realized the DS3 didn't support raid 5. :\
Old 03-27-2007, 08:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Memberbot

Quote:
What's the least amount of wattage for a PSU for a build like this? I'd like to keep it a modular one.
According to this PSU calculator, the minimum you are going to need is 400W. This factors in a bit of overclocking for the CPU as well.

However, you should never get the minimum Wattage that you think you are able to get away with. You should also be considering what kind of Amperage you get off of your 12V rail(s). Generally a good PSU will have higher A on the 12V rail. Have a look at Ste's PSU guide for more info there.

For a build like yours, go with at least 500W, and even better 550+.

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
1TB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Old 03-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to GrimReaper23

Newegg.com - OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V - Retail

That PSU is better i has 18AMPS on the 12V rail with 4 different rails... 700 watts as well, OCZ is good. On paper it looks good I never dealt with it personally but it looks really nice.

WD isn't bad so you can keep that it has a +3 year warranty, I personally like this one....

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ES ST3320620NS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Once again it looks good on paper and price.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I like the Hiper Type-R power supplies:
Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
It comes in 4 colours.

I have one of those powering my rig (4600+ at 2.8GHZ, 1.5V, 8800 GTS, water cooling system)
It's a very stable PSU, the modular cable system is the best I've seen, and it looks really cool.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to GrimReaper23

The 12 rail looks good +1 for it... the OCZ have better... and personally big ****ing deal it comes in red... it is cheaper which is also good, never heard of the brand so that is -1... I personally would go with the OCZ for 40 dollars more, I don't like going cheap with PSU's. Modular is nice though. I wish the OCZ had that, makes your case a whole lot cleaners resulting in better airflow which that results in better temps which that results in better OC results, ALTHOUGH all that could be achieved by some zip-ties and like 2 hours.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I think I might pull the trigger on this
Newegg.com - HIPER HPU-4B580-MS ATX12V v2.2 580W Power Supply 100 - 120V - Retail

Seems to have everything I'm looking for/need I think.
The blue Hiper 580w PSU. Newegg has a promo code for 20 bucks off. Shipping kind of sucks, but it comes out to 80. Can't seem to find a better deal...or is there one?

Closed Thread