Another 1st Time Builder LF Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdude45

Beta member
Seems to be the season for these kinds of threads around here. Anyways, I'm looking to replace an aging comp (coming up on 5 yrs old, can't get away with upgrades anymore) with something easily upgradeable for the next few years, nothing crazy though. First time builder but not very worried about it, more concerned about getting through the bios to an operating machine. I primarily plan to play WoW on max settings, not just for the time being but for awhile since their graphic standards seem to improve over time, and probably branch out to more games since I'll have a comp capable of handling them. Working on a budget around $950 before rebates, and this is what I've come up with so far:

Case - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
+Combo Deal - Case + CPU Combo, Deal Ends 12/24
Mobo - EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Mobo
DVD Drive - SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner (SATA)
+Combo Deal - Motherboard + DVD Drive Combo
Video Card - EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC
RAM - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
OS - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD
CPU Cooler - Rosewill RCX-Z775-LX 92mm Ball CPU Cooler

Comes close to $950 with shipping, before mail-in rebates. The PSU is probably more than I need but it should be good enough to support SLI with the card above or a stronger video card in the future (if not, let me know). Currently using a 19" wide screen LCD which I might upgrade to 22" if I catch a deal, and I may overclock just a bit if I get around to it (no prior exp there either). I'll likely order the case+cpu combo before the deal ends if I'm not sure about everything else. Looking for suggestions in case I'm missing out on a deal, if I should avoid a certain brand or product, or there's any compatibility issues I overlooked. I appreciate any input given, thanks in advance.

Its always the season for these kinda threads all year round can get a bit tedious but the altruism keeps me content.

Looks good few niggles:
I would get this card
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
It has better performance/price even though its a little more expensive after rebates its worth it. It will tame WOW for approx 5 years if there graphics standards only improve at there current rate.
Generally like having a main OS drive like the 320gb Seagate barracuda 7200.10 and a storage drive just makes it easier if your OS dies and you need to reformat as not all your data perishes.
That ram is very good but this ram is equally good and they are practically giving it away
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
spend a touch more on the cooler and get this
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

That psu is excessive you only using under 400W and so I would get something around the 500-600W mark to allow some headroom

Can you link me to the mobo/cpu combo deal so I can check :)

Kind of, I mean go with his suggestions with your idea of an HD 4850, with the one I selected..

I have no idea.. even some of the mod privileges are gone for me.. like see Forum Member's infractions.. gone...

I need to talk to Trotter about the disappearing stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom