Amps on the 12v rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skormm

Baseband Member
Ok I was under the impression that each rail was assigned a certain amount of amperes. Recently someone told me they can "sort of" share amps. Is this true? If so, could someone please explain it a little better for me?

I believe there's some sort of 20A limit for each 12v rail (to prevent them exploding, in the more dramatic cases), so for cards like a GTX260 (which requires about 22.5A I think) which needs two PCI-E connectors, each PCI-E connector will be on a different rail. And then things like CPU and hard drives can take up the rest.
So, I don't think they can "share" amps, but you see what I mean.

I'm not entirely sure that's the case, I may be wrong, I ain't an electrical engineer :p

Edit: I shouldn't have watched an episode of Family Guy while writing this, hefe beat me with much more accurate sources :p

I believe there's some sort of 20A limit for each 12v rail (to prevent them exploding, in the more dramatic cases), so for cards like a GTX260 (which requires about 22.5A I think) which needs two PCI-E connectors, each PCI-E connector will be on a different rail. And then things like CPU and hard drives can take up the rest.
So, I don't think they can "share" amps, but you see what I mean.

I'm not entirely sure that's the case, I may be wrong, I ain't an electrical engineer :p

Edit: I shouldn't have watched an episode of Family Guy while writing this, hefe beat me with much more accurate sources :p

Haha, yea, I'm still reading some things on that link he posted, pretty good info, very informative to someone who has no clue what's going on when it comes to PSU's (read as me).

See, this is why I said "sorta"... The main Amps/Volts are split out to the rails... The recommended Volts and Amps on a GPU are total system values not for the GPU alone..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom