Ample room case with 1200 Watt PS (HELP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maogdamian

Beta member
I have built a few medicor rigs in the past. Around the 1k range, and probably about 8-10 of them over the past 5 years. I'm ready for the big leagues and want to build a monster. I've always used newegg.com.

I just used a power supply calculator and it was showing over 1100 watts to power everything correctly, so I need a 1200 watt PS. I want to find a case that will house everything as well as these oversized powersupply and still have enough room for mess of wires. It dosent appear they have any good modular PS that accomidate 6x6pins. I have a feeling full tower? I don't think I'm going to make it with a midsized. xD

Here is whats on the list...

Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 Nehalem 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601965 - Retail
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 Nehalem 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI (x8) + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI (x8) + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

EVGA 02G-P3-1186-AR GeForce GTX 285 Superclocked Edition 2GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video ... - Retail
Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P3-1186-AR GeForce GTX 285 Superclocked Edition 2GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1866C9DF - Retail
Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I'm looking at 3 Cards total, and 6 sticks of ram, to have 12gigs. Here is the power supply I was thinking??? Any ideas?

PC Power & Cooling T12W 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling T12W 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Any help is appreciated getting this in the case with ample power, room and air flow. :D

pc power and cooling makes great power supplies.

The 965 is overkill unless you plan on some serious overclocking. Realistically the 920 is plenty of chip for anything you throw at it.

6gb of ram is plenty unless you plan on running a myriad of VM's in which case 12gb would be nice to have.

Get any full size tower that you like and put that pc power and cooling psu in it.

Thank you very much for your help! I'm looking at going with this case...

COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

The only reason I went with the 965 is the 6pins. The 920 Only has 4 and the 965 has 3x6 pin and 3x6+2 pins to power my 3 cards, as they require 2x6pins each. Unless I read it wrong. haha, which is possible.

Better question is............ why 3 cards?

3 way is really only good in internet videos, and ginormous screens.

Dual sli is more than enough,m plus saves you a ton of money.

But I think youre right, it'll need to be a full tower setup.

Can't recommend a case, but can say nless you like cutting, stay away from an Antec 1200

The only reason I went with the 965 is the 6pins. The 920 Only has 4 and the 965 has 3x6 pin and 3x6+2 pins to power my 3 cards, as they require 2x6pins each. Unless I read it wrong. haha, which is possible.

Hes talking bolut the i7, the 965 isn't worth the extra over the 920

I agree with Hefe, 965 is way overkill.

And don't get 3 of those...that's a big waste of money.

Get these instead, volume discount. Newegg.com - XFX GX285XZWFF GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Also, get this RAM instead. No point in the RAM you have for the money... Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I do have a question though...are you just picking out the most expensive stuff and putting it in your cart? Because that's the way it seems. This rig will be a huge waste of money.

What resolution are you planning on playing at?

Yes I was talking about getting the i7 920 versus the i7 965.

What are you planning on using for cooling?

I'm getting EVGA product because I just found out in my line of work, I can get them for free. I'll also be running a 3 monitor set up. 1 monitor is a 32 inch monitor, and the other 2 are 25.5 inch monitors. I already have them. They are bracketed on my desk with a mount, and i'm currently running 3 computers, I'd love to be able to streamline them all into one box. I just assumed a 3.2 processor would be more efficient. If it is overkill I can drop down, no biggie there. I was hoping that I could get away with air cooling... I do a ton of graphics, and video editing and fair amount of gaming. The ram I picked was what was recommended on the EVGA site, so thats why I picked the ram I did. I was going to use 6 gigs until windows 7 came out then upgrade to the full 12gigs. I have one machine with 8 gigs of ram and find that im bogged down at times, but this could just be vista.

fair enough sounds good.

Evga makes great gpu's and it sounds like the price is right.

Start with 6gb and if you need more than you can always pick it up and it will be cheaper.

Corsair is excellent ram but the OZC hikaricloud recommended will be great and save some cash. You will be happy with either.

A couple of cases to look at.

Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-P80 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE TJ09-BW Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Cases really come down to the looks you like. Just do not get some cheap alienware plastic case for all of this nice equipment.

that would require an infraction. ;)

Awesome! Thanks so much for all your help! The three cases listed, will fit this power supply? I was reading up and a lot of people are saying that this power supply is much longer than most. Trial and error I suppose. Should I still drop down to the 920?

absolutely you should get the 920. It can overclock to 3.2 on stock voltages and you do not really need that.

I run some pretty intensive statistical models with mine and it handles them no problem.

The only reason for a 965 is for serious overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom