AMDs potential...

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOW is the focus of the statement. Ten years ago no one had heard of AMD, and then they dominated the market. AMD may never regain that dominance, but I look for them to still pull some tricks out of their hat.

That would be a monopoly. I doubt ANY government would let it happen.

I wanted to buy a phenom when they released, I really really wanted to buy a 9600 B.E. but after comparing price/performance I just couldnt. Hopefully they do bring some new tech to the table competition is always good for the consumer.

lol maybe not officially on the monopoly thing

AMD won't die off until ATI get crush by competitors. They still can pull money to make a come back. Before AMD bought ATI, they were relying on other source of income to boost their fund; however intel realized that and jumped in, which was the reason AMD bought ATI as they need a new easier source of income.

The similar scenario went through with nintendo and sony just recently, during the ps2 generation; sony couldn't kill off nintendo because the handheld market held on long enough for nintendo to survive. The moment sony jumped into handheld hoping to not let nintendo have a breathing room, nintendo caught sony with their pants down.

Intel is going to jump into GPU market as well, and hence develop their own chipset possibly. If that happen, of anyone who die, it would be nvidia; unless they come up with something.

Just my 2 cents.

That would be a monopoly. I doubt ANY government would let it happen.

*cough microsoft cough*

oh and very good post pulupulu, it was a good read

oh ya, but i disagree... nvidia is winning the single gpu market atm, meaning they are leading... And while crossfire is overall better... it isnt by such a huge amount that it throws ati in the lead...

So if intel jumps into gpu's... which i have a hard time seeing them do for some reason, who knows wat will happen... most likely ATI will have problems if anyone...

I haven't looked into in a long time but I think AMD was hopeing to get fusion out in 2009 or 2010. IIRC fusion is basically getting the video card gpu and computer cpu onto one chip.

One chip functionality. This would be a huge boon for laptops and portable devices. It may even translate into desktop chips, especially for the lower end. Once the number of cores scales up, it would be child's play to make x CPU and x GPU, or even have them interchange as need be. Imaginge a graphics intesive game uses five of eight cores, while a video conversion might take six or seven, and the chip just glides between the demands.

Intel to debut GPU-in-CPU chips in 2009 | Reg Hardware

AMD's coming out with a 45nm Phenom, but i doubt a CPU shrink will do anything increase performance

AMD's coming out with a 45nm Phenom, but i doubt a CPU shrink will do anything increase performance

what??? of course it will....it will take less power for one thing, which likely will lead to higher overclocks with less voltage.
its just like going from the 90nm windsors to the 65nm brisbane...the brisbanes tend to overclock better (or AT LEAST just as well) as the windsors with less voltage.

what??? of course it will....it will take less power for one thing, which likely will lead to higher overclocks with less voltage.
its just like going from the 90nm windsors to the 65nm brisbane...the brisbanes tend to overclock better (or AT LEAST just as well) as the windsors with less voltage.

yeah, but the 65NM Phenom's couldn't beat the 65NM C2Q's, so what's to say a 45NM Phenom will beat a 45NM C2Q?

I'd love to see AMD add in some more features in Phenom before the 45NM jump so that it'll be competing, but even then by the time they come out with 45NM Phenom Intel will be far ahead of the game.

What AMD should have done was jumped straight to 45NM with Phenom. and what they should do now imo, is start creating the next gen Die Shrink (35Nm? or something?) and in the mean time come out with a phenom 45nm within 4-6months. And hopefully the next gen 35NM core's will outperform whatever Intel has.

i forget, when does the 45nm Phenoms come out? This year?

im still waiting to see if the 9700 n 9900 can turn the tide against Intel in Q2 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom