Amd X2 6400, 600w Psu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. LL

In Runtime
Just a thought, is there any reason the PSU in the below link won't work with a 6400 and 8800GT?

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-600-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01 600W Power Supply 115/ 230 V Safety Nemko, TUV, cUL, CE, BSMI, FCC, CCC - Retail

If there was a problem with the PSU could it cause everything to start up like fans and lights but there is no display at all? I have another thread open with different questions but I figured I would throw this out there and see. I am going to try and acquire another PSU and test it.

Here is the comment on that page that made me wonder...

>"An important tip from one of our users: don't just check total power output, find out what you need in the way of >current on each power rail. If you need 20 A on your +12V rails and the supply only has 15A, it doesn't matter how >many watts the supply puts out: don't buy it. Make certain that you have ENOUGH rails, too: sometimes, you need >more than just two +12V rails for your setup.
>
>Replacing an existing power supply is easier: just get a replacement that meets or exceeds the specifications of the >old one. (You can usually find those printed on the side of the supply.)
>
>That said, here's a power supply that is compatible with most ATX format motherboards, puts out 600 watts of power >(see specifications for exact distribution). Could this be your next power supply?"

It looks like it has two 12v rails running 18A

The 6400 says "Voltage 1.35-1.4V" and "Thermal Power 125W"

I'm not sure if two 18A rails will work.

I am running.....

Abit AN9 32X
AMD 64 X2 6400
GeForce 8800GT
2GB 800/6400 RAM.

According to eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite, a 600W PSU is barely capable of powering a system similar to yours, overclocking the CPU to 3.4GHz, bumping the voltage up by .05V, which 4 sticks of DDR2 memory, 2 SATA hard drives, a DVD burner, a Blu-ray drive, 2x80mm fans, a 120mm fan, with a Sound Blaster audio card, 2 USB powered devices, a Firewire powered-device, witht he CPU and PSU running on full load with 30% capacitor aging. So, yes, that PSU is more than enough to power your system.

Infact, assuming that you DON'T overclock your CPU, and DON'T have that many powered external peripherals DON'T run your entire system at full load all the time, with one or two DVD drives and one or two hard drives, you could even run two 8800GTs in SLI.

And two 18A rails is plenty for your 8800GT.

should work fine, Im using an echo star 600 watt to power my amd athlon 6000+ which is only 200 mhz slower then your 6400, and I can overclock it to 3.2 ghz without any issues. (cant go higher then that cuz my cooling isnt good enough) im using 2 gigabytes ddr2 ram, 2 optical drives, and a sataII hard disk. havent put in a vid card yet, but that should be fine for your system, it looks like a good PSU.

im sign a 600 watt to power my system and im fine, im gonna be runnign crossfire 3870's and il still be fine, a good brand 600w psu can handle preraty much anything.

Cool, thanks.

How much to 120mm fans take? I am putting in 7 120mm and one 80mm fan :)

wow why do you need so many fans, you planning on overclocking? lol I have no idea I havent sat down and measured power consumption. Im only running 1 120 mm intake fan, 1 80 mm exhaust, and 2 60 mm exhaust. the 2 60 mm exhaust I dont even need in fact, their their cuz im paranoid. my system idles at 90 degrees f. and my cpu at 80 degrees f. I would say unless your doing some serious overclocking 7 120 mm fans are a bit on the overkill side. 2-3 should do you just fine.

I'm going to be using 4 fan filters so I wanted more intake fans to compensate. I might have to scale it down if it's too much for the PSU. I've had to many heat problems so I am taking off the gloves this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom