AMD X2 4400+ vs 3800+ - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
MechEng Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to cwiz
Default AMD X2 4400+ vs 3800+

Is double the L2 cache of the 4400+ worth the extra couple hundred dollars? is there any other significant difference (besides the L2 cache and slightly higher operating frequency of the 4400+) i plan on playing doom3, CS:S, DoD:S, FEAR, and pretty much any other newer f.p.s.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to meefle

Well for a little more than the 3800+... you could get a Opteron 165 with twice the L2 cache as the 3800+ and better OCin abilities. The Opty 165 is probably the best performance/price dual-core CPU (and one of the best OCers). If your not into OCin then get the 4400+ or the 3800+. Both will play all those games and i'd doubt you'd notice a difference but my recommendation is the Opty 165

*G.Skill 1GB DDR 400
*Kingwin Mutant X Series
*HP IDE Lightscribe DVD Burner
*Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA II
*Maxtor 80GB IDE
*OCZ Gamexstream 600W PSU
Old 05-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
is there any other significant difference (besides the L2 cache and slightly higher operating frequency of the 4400+)
within a set range of processors there aren't any bigger differences than those . each core of the x2 4400+ is equivelant to a 3700+ and each core of the x2 3800+ is equivelant to a 3200+ so there is a considerable difference in single threaded games
Old 05-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

The only difference between the ones nitestick and the topic starter already listed is that one is a Manchester Core and the other is a Toledo Core. Toledo cores are top notch they are used in high end X2s, Opterons, and FX Series good OCers.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 05-08-2006, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

how bout instead of EITher, make a thread Opteron 165 vs. Opteron 170.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to tommyboy123x

it always seems like you guys convince people to do something besides what they had in mind... i guess its good you are suggesting it and opening their eyes to some things, but you should at least answer it and then say something that could be better

Dollar Hauler [dot] Com :)
Old 05-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Geek Squad

I have a 3800+ X2 processor, and I went through the same search as you, after reading some reviews though, the 1MB L2 Core addition makes MAYBE a 10% increase when the processor is under full load of graphic rendering ect. So in all truth I doubt it makes any difference what soever. Oh and I came up from an Athlon XP processor, so even though my 3800+ isnt the top of the line core It is a **** of a lot after than my older XP athlon, not to mention I can run double the programs with half of the lag =)

"Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power." ~Sun Tzu

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

“Omnis vir est fortunae faber”
Old 05-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
MechEng Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to cwiz

Thanks Josh, yours was helpful. i was considering the opty 165, but i dont see myself OCing that much, at least not a ton... I think im going to go with the 3800+ and save the extra couple hundred for the dual core gpu's and conroe build that are coming out within a year.... i'll probably need it :/
Old 05-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Geek Squad

Ya, I plan on doing my next upgrade this winter or early january into a conroe build or if AMD got something better out into that arena, so the extra hundred you save could mean the diff of getting the conroe or waiting a bit longer.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

Old 05-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Geek Squad

According to PCU-Z my X2 3800+ is a Toledo core.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

Closed Thread