AMD X to tha 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainDownMyBlues

Solid State Member
Ok, well I really do not speak like that in any manner...

BUT! I'm looking into getting a 4600 or 4800- AMD 64 X2 processor, either don't matter to me as their both really up there.

I know their supposed to be godlike in a multimedia stand point. Which is really my main point of attack, Video editing and Audio production. I also am going to do some gaming with either the 6800Gt or possiblly the 7800GT. I'm curious though, if the processor will handle gaming equally to, if not better, than a 3500 prossessor. From what I've heard is that dual core prossors aren't that good for gaming because it works just like a dual processor system... I'm just wondering how these CPU's handle gaming.

Also, if anyones used them how good they are for the video editing and such. I've been using a G5 Power Mac, and wonder if AMD will be able to smoke, or even touch the G5? The G5 is the lowest level dual prossesor I believe.

Oh, and can some one recommend a card or something for a dual monitor system? If I do dual monitors I'm most likely going to do the 6800GT's.

I'd like a motherboard with 2 PCI-E and 4 Ram slots. I just want the two PCI-slots for my dual monitors, and then 4 slots to do 2 gigs of ram dual channel with 4 512's.

Thanks guys. This is my first post here, hope it's not a horrible one ;)

Gj. Imo a lot of ppl here love AMD, me being one of them. You can't go wrong with the X2's. You get the right setup and the G5 won't have jack on you.

Here is a good motherboard:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131517

For gaming, yes the X2 isn't really optimized for that, it is really for video editing and such. Yes it does do awesome in gaming, but you would have better luck with a 3500+ or something.

The X2's are perfect for multimedia and a bit of gaming mixed in.

For your monitors, no game can hardly move the 6800GT yet, they will be futureproof for a while. But I say for even more reliablility and performance, the 7800GT ples.

yes, well Apple's CPU's are extremely powerful. but unfortunately, they are going to use Intel's in their next computer. (I was like NOOOOOOOOOO!)

anyway, the 4800+ is actually pretty high up, just off the FX-57 in gaming. however it owns in multimedia.
although the 4800+ is about the same price as the FX-57. go figure.

So are you guys saying

a 3700+ San deigo will match up to a 3800+ X2 in gaming?

because im puttin together an upgrade and i thought the X2 would be more future Proof than the 3700+?

the X2 3800+ is 2x2.0GHZ with 2x512kb L2 cache
the 3700+ San Diego is 2.2GHZ with 1024kb (1MB) L2 cache.
where the 3700+ wins, it wins by a little bit. where the X2 3800+ wins, it wins by a lot.

the x2 will do very well in multimedia apps that have been designed for dual cores. Gaming wise, it will do very well but games have not been optimised for dual cores. Games are more reliant on the graphics card anyways.

It will do quite well compared to the G5, not sure if it will beat it but i know IBM G5 CPU's are slightly more efficient than the AMD X2's (or any AMD 64 bit processor for that matter). The PowerPC Macintoshes are dead, Apple are switching to the very in-efficient Intel CPU's so Apple will not have the head in CPU's for much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom