AMD vs. Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbinnerarity

Baseband Member
My question is, what is the difference between AMD and Intel? I know that most AMD is cheaper (overall) but what else besides that? I'm trying to build a decent gaming rig for about $700 without a monitor and accessories, and I'm trying to deside if it would be smarter to go with AMD or Intel. Im no hardcore gamer but a would like a decent computer that's in my budget?

Biostar Tpower I45 ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2OC 2PCI-E 2PCI SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN CrossFireX Motherboard
$149.46,
Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT12864AA80A PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN Memory Kit
I $43.99, s
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Dual Core Processor LGA775 2.53GHZ 1066FSB 3MB Retail Box
$126.88
Coolermaster CM 690 Mid Tower Black ATX Case 5X5.25 5X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound Firewire & eSATA
$72.60
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB SATA2 8.5MS 7200RPM 32MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive OEM
: $62.88
LG GH22NS30 Black DVD+RW 22X8X16 DVD-RW 22X6X16 DL 16X/12X 2MB SATA OEM
$31.90
HIS Radeon HD 4850 ICEQ4 Turbo 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card *IR-$45*
$199.99
Coolermaster Extreme Power 500W ATX 12V V2.01 Silent Power Supply 20/24PIN 120MM Fan
$47.73
Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 LGA775 S754 S939 S940 W/120MM Fan
$39.99
is the best i can recomend cheapest prices online for each part, all selected from ncix and price matched, you could go down on the moboa litle. NCIXUS.com - Great Technology, Selection and Service.
get your os from uncle torrent.

$775.42 before taxes and shipping.

That didn't answer his question, the difference between intel and AMD is quite large. For the builder on a budget, AMD might be best, however intel is quite a bit faster than AMD. With 700 dollars however, you can easily build a nice intel based machine. I don't know what site that is, I would use newegg.

What do you use your computer for? Do you game at all, or wish to game in the future? If not, the 4850 might be overkill and you could save some money there. Just let us know a little more info.

That didn't answer his question, the difference between intel and AMD is quite large. For the builder on a budget, AMD might be best, however intel is quite a bit faster than AMD. With 700 dollars however, you can easily build a nice intel based machine. I don't know what site that is, I would use newegg.

What do you use your computer for? Do you game at all, or wish to game in the future? If not, the 4850 might be overkill and you could save some money there. Just let us know a little more info.

there teh canadian competitor to new egg they also sell in the us they are very very good, fast shipping, and great rma service.

Yeah I'll be using it for gaming mainly and for school a bit too. I've been using newegg to compare all of my stuff but thanx for the advice anyways Poizen. I'm just pretty sure that newegg is reliable with good prices. I also have another question regarding Windows if you could please answer this Thresh. If i orderd windows vista premium, will that come with like microsoft word and things of that nature. And thanks again Thresh.

new egg should have similar prices if you need a build i recomend that. nope but an operating system is such a waste of money when everyones favorite uncle torrence can just lend it to you, same thign goes for office and any other crazy expensive software you need.

new egg should have similar prices if you need a build i recomend that. nope but an operating system is such a waste of money when everyones favorite uncle torrence can just lend it to you, same thign goes for office and any other crazy expensive software you need.

; ) Now I know who Uncle Torrence is.

acutally i would swap the mobo to this,
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45D2-A7 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
save u $50 instantly
also get this case/psu
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies 45

this ram is also better since crucial went one sided. you can easily clock these down to 4-4-4-12 and a very high clockrate if you wanted to instead (1000mhz 5-5-5-15)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

as for amd vs intel, the main difference in there technology is that intel uses a non-intergrated memory controller (in north birdge) while amd's is inside their cpu which provides a much faster communication (HT). intel new socket 1366 will use this feature in its cpu's. the thing is atm intel's cpu arcitecture in inferior to amd's and pretty much every cpu across the board will beat the amd counterpart, even the cheap e1280's are better than the cheap x2's when overclocked, which is the other thing, they overclock really well. amd has hada lot of issues with the cpu's and overclockign especially the x4's.

Sorry to respond late, but no I am 99% sure that vista does not come with word, excel, office, or any of those things. I believe there is like a 60 day trial you can do, but after that it asks for a cd key so you must buy it... or steal it by using a torrent like the above suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom