AMD Versus Intel - Showdown [NOT CONROE / AM2!!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opteron series processor. The 165-180 is the dual core line...

Though the X2 3800+ is roughly the same price as the Opteron 165. Around 330 USD.

and please don't argue, the X1800GTO that is for sale in my country is DDR2, not GDDR and definantly not GDDR3.
I believe all X1800GTOs are GDDR3 memory since its one of ATIs newest video cards (as of april) so they wouldnt put a card like that with someother than than GDDR3 (inless they had GDDR4 but yea... different story) Maybe the one you were lookin at was a X800GTO which does have GDDR2 memory.

sorry about the Oty thing i meant Opty which like PZEROFGH said, is a Opteron.

Of the two system choices you have there go with the Intel setup, you will get better gaming performance.

As has been said CPU doesnt really affect gaming in any big way its all about GPU.

The AMD processor is better but none the less..

your 2nd build is perfect and i wouldnt change one thing
you did good choosing what to get

may i suggest that you get a good PSU 550+ antec or enermax
i wouldnt go with anything less because psu is the secret behind every good system

Of the two system choices you have there go with the Intel setup

blasphemy.gif

As PZEROFGH (what a name) has suggested, you could go with a single core CPU for now, and sock the price difference into a monster of a graphics card. An Opteron 144 should cost about 2/3 of what that X2 3800+ does, and it will overclock like nothing of this world... You can upgrade to dual core on down the road.

You definately want to go with 2gig of RAM, if at all possible. Today's games love their RAM. And the DDR of today holds its own against DDR2... unless you go to the newest and bestest.

As for what graphics card, that's up to you. nVidia is the make of choice around here, but buy what you want. Just don't scrimp of the graphics now, or you'll be sorry later.

hmm, the mobo i picked does work with the conroe It says flat out Here: "Supports Intel® Dual/Single-Core 65nm Processors"

Yeah that is a bit misleading. The 9XX series happens to be 65nm and I pretty sure those are the dual core CPU they talking about. I am pretty certain the 945P chipset will not support Conroe.

I believe that only the 975X chipset will be compatible. ASUS does have one 975X motherboard out but it properly quite expensive. Also Intel has been very misleading about what will support Conroe. I read in certain places that today 975X motherboards might not be compatible despite Intel saying the 975X chipset will be compatible. This has to do with Conroe requiring different voltage regulator circuitry. To make it even more confusing most likely companies going to keep the same motherboard names for there 975X and just change the revision number to show that the voltage regulator circuitry been change. Then begins the fun of trying to figure out if you are buying the motherboard you want with the correct revision number.

In the end this leads me pretty confuse what motherboards that out now will support it if any. If there are motherboards out there that will support it then it would be ones with 975X chipsets and 965 but I donÂ’t think there any 965 boards on the market yet.

Alright, thanks all... bumping this post to hear out if there are some other thoughts around as this has become more of a GPU VS CPU Thread... so what do you think will be better? A good GPU Or a good CPU? :p

Well if you wanna think like i did when i decided to stick with single core for now you can. Heres wut i thought.... How many applications are multithreaded and fully use a Dual-core...... slim to none.... and how long will it be till there are goin to be some.... who knows.... the average PC user has a single core and iwll have a single core for at least another year or so and that'll delay mutl-threaded programs a little bit.... so get a good single core now (Opty 144) and then get a good video card (X1800XT or X1900XT(X)). You can always upgrade to a dual-core in a couple of days... months... years... decades (pff yea right more like years).... just give that a thought.... For every 2 years hardware technology increases..... software technology is 2 years behind it (kramers rule or something like that but i has never been disproven)

dual-cores are good for multitaskin but good single cores can mutlitask too... i was runnin virus scan, adaware SE scan, disk clean-up, listenin to music, on aim and msn, and browsin the web with my Pentium 4 with no lag...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom