AMD unleashes the 6000+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apokalipse said:
I haven't used the DFI AM2 board, but I know this board's definitely got more room left. If only it wasn't so hot here.

Also, my ram is:
A-data 2 x 1GB DDR2-800 (stock 5-5-5-18) @ DDR2-972, 4-4-4-12, 2.4V (not using a divider)

it's hot because u got ur GPU n CPU OCed? Then get watercooling if ur the type of guy who loves to OC things.

watercooling is best for OCers from what ive heard.

u planning on OCing ur RAM too? *OCing RAM does nothing in my opinion, what is the point? :p*

Wildside said:
it's hot because u got ur GPU n CPU OCed? Then get watercooling if ur the type of guy who loves to OC things.

watercooling is best for OCers from what ive heard.
I plan on getting watercooling. I just know this thing can go further.

though, watercooling isn't the best. People use liquid nitrogen, or vapour phase change cooling to achieve world record overclocks. That will put the CPU temperature in the very low negatives

Wildside said:
u planning on OCing ur RAM too? *like **** OCing it does nothing in my opinion*
depends what you are doing on your PC.

Also, having good overclocking RAM helps with your CPU overclock.

I only paid AU$265 for my RAM (it's normally at least $300 for good overclocking RAM here), and it's running at DDR2-972, 4-4-4-12, stably.

Apokalipse said:
I plan on getting watercooling. I just know this thing can go further.

depends what you are doing on your PC.

Also, having good overclocking RAM helps with your CPU overclock.

I only paid AU$265 for my RAM (it's normally at least $300 for good overclocking RAM here), and it's running at DDR2-972, 4-4-4-12, stably.

well when OCing RAM, all ur doing is OCing the frequency, making the timings of the RAM lower or not at all? I'm curious because i dont want to have to OC RAM if i know it's worth it n i know what im doing.

i OCed my 6600 LE n destroyed it because i OCed it too much :'-(

the frequency of the RAM determines how much data can go back and forth in a given time.
The higher the frequency, the faster data travels to and from the RAM.

The timings are the amount of clock cycles the RAM waits before doing a new job. the lower, the better.

You overclock the CPU by increasing the HTT or FSB (AMD uses HTT)
the RAM speed will usually run from the HTT speed.

If you have a base HTT frequency of 200MHZ, the RAM will run at 200MHZ (DDR) or 400MHZ (DDR2)
DDR and DDR2 RAM do two operations per clock cycle, so people say that it runs at DDR400, or DDR2-800

Anyway, If you increase the HTT, you also increase the RAM speed too.

As for my RAM: The stock speeds are 400MHZ (DDR2-800) and 5-5-5-18 timings.
I've got it to 436MHZ (DDR2-972) at 4-4-4-12 timings. I'm quite sure it can go further.

But yeah, overclocking too far can lead to your parts dying. but it usually only happens if:
a) it causes it to run too hot
b) the hardware was of low quality

If you have good quality parts, and adequate cooling, then overclocking is usually quite safe.

Apokalipse said:
the frequency of the RAM determines how much data can go back and forth in a given time.
The higher the frequency, the faster data travels to and from the RAM.

The timings are the amount of clock cycles the RAM waits before doing a new job. the lower, the better.

You overclock the CPU by increasing the HTT or FSB (AMD uses HTT)
the RAM speed will usually run from the HTT speed.

If you have a base HTT frequency of 200MHZ, the RAM will run at 200MHZ (DDR) or 400MHZ (DDR2)
DDR and DDR2 RAM do two operations per clock cycle, so people say that it runs at DDR400, or DDR2-800

Anyway, If you increase the HTT, you also increase the RAM speed too.

As for my RAM: The stock speeds are 400MHZ (DDR2-800) and 5-5-5-18 timings.
I've got it to 436MHZ (DDR2-972) at 4-4-4-12 timings.

But yeah, overclocking too far can lead to your parts dying. but it usually only happens if:
a) it causes it to run too hot
b) the hardware was of low quality

o i see, thats cool, is it a good idea to try to OC ur RAM to it's limit before frying them?

just asking because i was 'experimenting' with my 6600 LE n i OCed it too much, so that was a dumb mistake.

Wildside said:
o i see, thats cool, is it a good idea to try to OC ur RAM to it's limit before frying them?

just asking because i was 'experimenting' with my 6600 LE n i OCed it too much, so that was a dumb mistake.
RAM usually doesn't get very hot.

Probably the only reason RAM might die, is if you increase the voltage too much.
Even then, it's usually only on lower quality RAM.

Apokalipse said:
RAM usually doesn't get very hot.

Probably the only reason RAM might die, is if you increase the voltage too much.
Even then, it's usually only on lower quality RAM.

o i see, thx for the info, now i know what to expect when OCing RAM.

One last thing to state is that I'm not bashing AMD at all. Im just stating that in general you don't want to recommend an X2 over a Core 2 Duo as even if it's not by a lot (as you say) they are still better. That's all I'm saying. Also I understand that the new chips when they come out will probably destroy the Core 2's but that's what the Core 2's did to the X2's and that's how this business goes.

AMD will return with avengence eventually, just depends on what Intel also has planned as they have them on the run now.

woah woah... I missed something.. K8L will work on my motherboard?

So going DX10 for crysis wouldn't really mean abandoning my motherboard for a new intel or amd cpu/mobo. That's awesome news. I will worry about a 2nd gig of ram for now then.

And then a DX10 card and K8L after Crysis and Vista have been out for a bit.

Anyway, the K8L CPU's will be brought out in socket AM2+
AM2+ will have Hypertransport 3.0, at 4GHZ. AM2+ will still use DDR2 memory.

But they'll still work in plain old AM2, they'll just drop down to Hypertransport 1.0 (2GHZ)

When socket AM3 comes out, the newer CPU's will have 939 pins, and will use DDR3.

the 939 pin AM3 CPU's will fit and work in socket AM2+ and AM2 (AM2 is 940 pins). The AM3 CPU's will therefore have a memory controller for DDR3 and DDR2

Sora said:
One last thing to state is that I'm not bashing AMD at all. Im just stating that in general you don't want to recommend an X2 over a Core 2 Duo as even if it's not by a lot (as you say) they are still better. That's all I'm saying. Also I understand that the new chips when they come out will probably destroy the Core 2's but that's what the Core 2's did to the X2's and that's how this business goes.
you can get X2's cheaper.

Sora said:
AMD will return with avengence eventually, just depends on what Intel also has planned as they have them on the run now.
I think AMD is running faster than Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom