AMD turns in $600 million loss for Q2 financial year - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to OnlyCurious Send a message via Yahoo to OnlyCurious
Default Re: AMD turns in $600 million loss for Q2 financial year

Why are people so obsessed with taking sides....? AMD or Intel... I mean who really cares?? It should just be about who has better performing products.

For those who say I will NEVER SWITCH TO AMD/Intel... uh... what are you waiting for... a cookie from AMD/Intel???

My rig:
CoolerMaster Centurion 5
SamSung 20" LCD
Intel E6750 @ 2.66Ghz
Gigabyte p35-ds3r
Patriot Extreme 2gb 4-4-4-12
Sapphire X1950XT 256mb
Samsung 500gb @ 7200
PSU Xclio GreatPower 550W
Samsung DVD Burner
Logitec X-230 2.1
Old 07-20-2007, 12:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyCurious View Post
Why are people so obsessed with taking sides....? AMD or Intel... I mean who really cares?? It should just be about who has better performing products.

For those who say I will NEVER SWITCH TO AMD/Intel... uh... what are you waiting for... a cookie from AMD/Intel???
I definitely agree with that. I personally think its more fun when there is actually a choice to be made other than "q6600 or e6750?" like "AMD's FX-1200 or Intel's e12300" (purely fictional names for lack of creativity or research). That makes for better debates and just more to compare to and explore with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno
I want IBM to get back into consumer processors instead of only server systems.... oh the 3-way war would be a wondrous thing... *only has a few dollars in wallet, but still can afford quad core*
That would be awesome, I remember when my dad got his IBM laptop back when I was like 10. Great computer.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferarri View Post
I definitely agree with that. I personally think its more fun when there is actually a choice to be made other than "q6600 or e6750?" like "AMD's FX-1200 or Intel's e12300" (purely fictional names for lack of creativity or research). That makes for better debates and just more to compare to and explore with.

That would be awesome, I remember when my dad got his IBM laptop back when I was like 10. Great computer.
who cares about picking aside, most ppl ust go for the best bang for the buck.... but fanboyism can make ppl choose the pricey weak part from a company they love over the cheaper just as good part from another company
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-20-2007, 02:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Hellfire!

Send a message via MSN to Wildside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabb View Post
well besides the fact that you sound like a dumb AMD fanboy, I think AMD deserved to lose even more for refusing to lower their prices even further after the core 2 duos spanked them hard. Only a complete idiot would get an AMD processor for anything but an incredably low end system.
stfu i love AMD processors n i dont care if Intel is better or more popular, i just like it how AMD processors have a lot of FSB that usually doubles Intel processors; to do more stuff in slower speeds rather then faster in doing less in those speeds. I mean, look at their next processors:

AMD Phenom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sry i sound like an idiot, but really im not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyCurious View Post

lol sry if i acted stupid in the first post, im not i just love AMD, thats all.
--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Old 07-20-2007, 02:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Yeah i admit that i do like some companies more than others, but hey... sometimes even nice people lose. Just buy from whoever has the better product.

Right now i have a e6600 (intel) processor and am enjoying it and praying that AMD doesnt come out with something better and cheaper because that would make me feel bad... so right now you could call me an "Intel Fanboy" and when i had my old AMD processor you could have called me an "AMD Fanboy"

You dont ever see somebody favoring a companies product that they don't own.

But just like all of you are saying, i hope that AMD can comeback cause i dont want them to be a monopoly *cough* microsoft *cough*

I probably should have waited for amd's counter to intels chips before i went out and bought a Core2Duo, but hey.. that would be like how some people waited for ATI's R600. Doesnt mean its going to be better.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Techie

I have absolutely no preference. I'm 100% performance/compatibility minded. At the same time though, Intel needs a good competitor to keep them honest. Competition is of paramount concern and benefits the people. It's capitalism 101 boys and girls! AMD will come back strong, they just have a touch of rebuilding to do. One big tech break through would do it. Agree about the motherboards thing too. Grocery stores sell Coke at loss but it gets people in the door and they always end up buying something else don't they.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdawg View Post
I have absolutely no preference. I'm 100% performance/compatibility minded. At the same time though, Intel needs a good competitor to keep them honest. Competition is of paramount concern and benefits the people. It's capitalism 101 boys and girls! AMD will come back strong, they just have a touch of rebuilding to do. One big tech break through would do it. Agree about the motherboards thing too. Grocery stores sell Coke at loss but it gets people in the door and they always end up buying something else don't they.
well AMD's Phenom's are supposed to be really cheap according to maroon1, cheap and fast, my two favorite things in the PC world
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
MetalHead Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildside View Post
stfu i love AMD processors n i dont care if Intel is better or more popular, i just like it how AMD processors have a lot of FSB that usually doubles Intel processors;
dude....AMD doesnt have double the FSB
Mobo Biostar Z68A+
Mem 4 gb PNY DDR3 1600
Case afk
Sound Logitech z-5300e 5.1 + Razer Orca's + Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE
PSU Corsair 520hx
OS Windows 7 64-bit
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
HDD Hitachi 1Tb
Old 07-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
dude....AMD doesnt have double the FSB
correct its just called something different, HyperTransport Bus

Old 07-20-2007, 10:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabb View Post
well besides the fact that you sound like a dumb AMD fanboy, I think AMD deserved to lose even more for refusing to lower their prices even further after the core 2 duos spanked them hard. Only a complete idiot would get an AMD processor for anything but an incredably low end system.
Are you serious? AMD dropped their prices so much that they're barely getting any margin on them anymore. What more do you expect?

Anyway, talk about extreme exaggeration. AMD's K8 processors are still nowhere near as behind as people try to pretend they are.

My 6000+ at 3.4GHZ will beat the pants off most systems, including a lot of C2D systems.
a 3GHZ C2D will be a little ahead of my 6000+ in some areas, but that in no way makes my system low-end.

Meh, I really don't like it when people decide they have to bash a product, just because it isn't the best.