AMD is in the soup, again. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
..m.0,0.m..

Default Re: AMD is in the soup, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
AMD's multi-core Bulldozer chips use a unique design that combines the functions of what would normally be two discrete cores into a single package, which the company calls a module. Each module is identified as two separate cores in Windows, but the cores share a single floating point unit and instruction and execution resources. This is different from Intel's cores, which feature independent FPUs.

The suit claims that Bulldozer's design means its cores cannot work independently, and as a result, cannot perform eight instructions simultaneously and independently. This, the claim continues, results in performance degradation, and average consumers in the market for a CPU lack the technical expertise to understand the design of AMD's processors and trust the company to give accurate specifications regarding its CPUs.
*looks at signature*

^ actual picture of the AMD fanboy inside me dying a little

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Build Guru

I've been saying it forever now, and even put this in my long article stickied ironically to the top of this sub-forum. Windows actually identifies them as 8 logical processors and 4 cores, because that's exactly what they are. They are not full cores, otherwise AMD could shut them down individually and wouldn't need Microsoft to prepare a different scheduler just to help the gimped cores out (because BD/PD/SR all use an out of phase scheduler due to execution from the FPU as split threads need to be executed on the same module or else the pipeline is too long and it has to start over).

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Private Joker

#CoreGate

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
..m.0,0.m..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
I've been saying it forever now, and even put this in my long article stickied ironically to the top of this sub-forum.
Nice article too!

Boy is my face red......

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Windows actually identifies them as 8 logical processors and 4 cores, because that's exactly what they are. They are not full cores, otherwise AMD could shut them down individually and wouldn't need Microsoft to prepare a different scheduler just to help the gimped cores out (because BD/PD/SR all use an out of phase scheduler due to execution from the FPU as split threads need to be executed on the same module or else the pipeline is too long and it has to start over).
I've been an AMD fanboy since ... 2001 when I got my first Athlon Thunderbird (even had the axia stepping for those who know why that's special). What a load of crap for a company, and especially a company you've supported so long to use deceitful sales tactics. Looks like I'll be putting my name in that hat and using the money towards an Intel chip

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wizard of Wires

Yes Luke. Come to the dark side.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
True Techie

AMD should have never done bulldozer really, no more high powered CPU's for under Intels asking price.
Maybe they should do GPU's only, AMD GPU's are getting better... sure not as good a NVIDIA but if they devote resources they could still save themselves
MadmanRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Nice article too!

Boy is my face red......

I've been an AMD fanboy since ... 2001 when I got my first Athlon Thunderbird (even had the axia stepping for those who know why that's special). What a load of crap for a company, and especially a company you've supported so long to use deceitful sales tactics. Looks like I'll be putting my name in that hat and using the money towards an Intel chip
Well to be fair when they came out they were still decent chips and still perform fine even now, but require a lot more power and core clock speed. I personally don't think they were after deceitful sales tactics, but I just think their "real men use real cores" campaign back in the day makes them look like total tools. They were fully hoping for the market to go to offloading to the GPU quicker than it has gone. Zen next year is going back to a monolithic core design. I just don't think it'll be close to Intel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
AMD should have never done bulldozer really, no more high powered CPU's for under Intels asking price.
Maybe they should do GPU's only, AMD GPU's are getting better... sure not as good a NVIDIA but if they devote resources they could still save themselves
Their idea was good, but execution fell flat on it's face, for the reasoning above. AMD has already offloaded their GPU department and I believe are concentrating on CPUs only. I believe Zen will be pretty decent but still playing catchup to Intel.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I thought AMD was keeping the GPU division to their selfs since that has been the only profitable portion of the company...
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Build Guru

They didn't sell, just branched out. So basically they are both AMD but two separate entities with both concentrating solely on their task. CPU and GPU.

AMD Reorganizes Graphics Division - Radeon Whole Once More, Led By Raja Koduri

Access to my Plex PM me.