AMD Socket M2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyzse

Solid State Member
I'm newb on this so, excuse anything that I say that is wrong. But it seems that AMD sockets are very flexable compared to intels. You could buy a socket 939 motherboard with a Sempron CPU and then take out the Sempron and put in an optoron dual core and it would work just fine (where intel you can do nothing close to that). So it would seem taht when amd realeses it's new socket that they will do the same and that if I buy an average chip at the time, in a few years I will be able to buy an average chip of that time and put it in. So it seems like t would be worth the wait (I think I saw that it should come out this year) and then buy something then.

So a few questions
Does anyone know when this is sposed to come out?
When a new socket comes out do they still make new stuff for the old sockets, and how good is that new stuff?
When socket M2 comes out how are the prices going to be for the new mobo's and new CPU's (just estimates, no one knows for sure of caurse)?
And am I just completly wrong here and read some old info and posted it ><.

edit...
The main thing I'm trying to find out by this is that I am going to buy a new comp soon (build it myself) and am wondering if I should wiat for this to come out.

here are a few articles i've found...this stuff is old so most of you have probobly heard of it already ><, I just haven't found any recent posts on it.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20050127022248.html
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=132

If you can wait, do so... It should be out very soon. Alone with the nVida 7900.

I am holding off on upgrading til then, I will then sell most of my system off and replace it with M2/New Mobo/New Vid Card...

well isnt the main reason there making the socket m2 is so that amd cpus can support DDR2 memory.

yes and it isn't that much of a performance increase. You shouldn't be paying more than $50 to be able to use DDR2 than todays processors in my opinion.

yea i agree. the ddr2 ram aint even double the performance of ddr, so dont get all hyped up about it

I know right now its not even close to being double, but they can improve alot of that in the future, DDR is goign to stay where it is right now, DDR2 is going to get more advanced, now it might not get up to double but it has room to move up and thats what they are going to be developing for. Same applys to the new chips...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom