AMD shows off 3.0Ghz Phenom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dashogun said:
They should compact the cards into one.
Basically, that's what AMD's "Fusion" will be... CPU/GPU in a single chip.

One GPU's turn the corner on heat and power consumption, the manufacturers will be able to make multi-core GPU's as well as putting multiple chips on a single card.

I wouldn't mind seeing GPU sockets integrated into the mobo, and even GRAM sockets... transfer speeds as fast as the CPU/RAM, anyone?

One GPU's turn the corner on heat and power consumption, the manufacturers will be able to make multi-core GPU's as well as putting multiple chips on a single card.

I wouldn't mind seeing GPU sockets integrated into the mobo, and even GRAM sockets... transfer speeds as fast as the CPU/RAM, anyone?

cool idea, sounds like integrated graphics to me

idk... It's kind of sad to me. I like the fact that my GTS is absolutely MASSIVE and so is my heatsink. I like to look at computers under the light of sports cars. With "turbos" and "coolers" and all the hoses and yada yada.

This concept of combining and compacting takes some of the fun out of it for me. Like pc are going from supercars to...ricerockets or something.

Pretty soon it will just be like... infinite computing power. And Crytek will create a new universe of something, where "everything is destructible and interactive"

Pretty soon it will just be like... infinite computing power.
Infinite is just a concept. You can't actually get infinite anything.

The only reason infinite exists (as a concept) is because theoretically there is no such thing as a "highest number" either.

Case in point: what's the highest number you can think of?
What if you add 1 to that number?

Pretty soon it will just be like... infinite computing power. And Crytek will create a new universe of something, where "everything is destructible and interactive"

lol... if u destroy everything in front of u.... u can't go any further unless u do a super jump or something lol.... i think u can do taht crap with ageia card and 8 series right?

Welcome to the Matrix.

But seriously I think s gpu socket a GDRAM slots is a good idea. I think it would save a lot of space and it would be faster than a card. Phenom is one way to do it but im afraid that the heat of the gpu (whose process technology is lagging behind cpus) will make it a hot package. If you could jsut buy new Gpus and put them on a ZIFF like the cpus everything changes. Then you arent tied into a lot of decisions that the card makers make for you. Like which ram to use on them. or what cooler to use.

All we really need is a unified language for the GPUs... the technology is already out there to put them in ZIF sockets.

As components shrink, begin to run cooler, and become less power-hungry, the feasibility of doing something like this climbs higher and higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom