amd question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronxblaza117

In Runtime
i went to circuit city to help my cuzin buy a computer and we were lookin at this real nice HP it had a AMD 64 3400 cpu and he told us that that is equivalent to a intel pentium 4 3.4ghz...i though ti read on here that thats not true? so they have dumb people workin at circuit city?

Now of course that all depends. It would be "equivalent" to the average user who does nothing but browse the web and type documents. But the real power AMD has over Intel (the major one anyhow) is in gaming. They're not necessarily dumb they're just telling the customer what management tells them to tell the customer.

AMD has a very high advantage over Intel in gaming and high-end applications, but Intel is great for simple multi-tasking and home computing.

yes, AMD x2s crush intels dual core processor, but with a hefty price. 1000 dollARS FOR A PROCESSOR!!! more like 500-800 dollar processors

The 3400+ would be more like a 3.6 P4 in gaming. Also it would depend on what kinda ram each one is running blah blah blah. THe key word here is depends.

Counter-Strike said:
AMD has a very high advantage over Intel in gaming and high-end applications, but Intel is great for simple multi-tasking and home computing.

Thats actually not a correct statement. If you look at current benchmark and testing results, you will see that in MOST games AMD comes out on top, and at times by a pretty decent lead, however, Intel usually has the leading scores when it comes to high end applications.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1854741,00.asp

http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/24/1747228

I am an AMD fan, and i dont mean to step on anyones toes, but that was an incorrect statement.

Counter-Strike said:

that statment is correct if hes talking about an AMD X2, normal AMD Athlon 64 ####+ cpus are great for gaming but not tasking but AMDs X2 chips are alot better for tasking.

well to answer the original question...for the most part

a 3400+ WOULD be semi-equivelant to a 3.4GHz intel, depending on various factors of course....so the guy at circuit city was pretty much correct and hell I'm surprised he could actually come to that conclusion. Most would be like "I don't know dude....it must suck cause it's clockspeed is slower" assuming he knew to call it clock speed in the first place

AMD's do get their fair amount of leverage from the 64-bit outline. Even though windows XP and the predecessors are 32-bit or less, the 64-bit architecture still boosts performance considerably. This is most emanant in games since a higher amount of processing power is needed, and the 64 bit part comes into play. So as to say, if it's primarily gaming your looking for AMD's your man. If it's multi-tasking, and performance in programs (such as photoshop, media player) then it's Intel. By saying it's equivalent, in a general sense he is correct to an extent. In a more technical sense, it's not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom