AMD Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevytrucknut

In Runtime
Which is better? The 3700+ OC'd or the X2 3800+

Please don't tell me there's a website that has all the graphs, I know that already, I just want to see someone's personal primary opinion, especially if they have one or the other, or have had both! Thanks

Ooohh, and can you OC the X2?

Let me add this too - I do some video editing, (not a lot), watch and listen to A LOT of music and videos, a fair amount of gaming, and things like CAD and other engineering programs

X2 3800+ cause its a dual core, and no matter how far you can OC the 3700+, be resonable, it wont be as good as the X2

Go for the opteron 170 if you're on a budget and want dual core. It has 2x1mb L2 cache for under $400, and it's faster than the 3800+ X2. You can also easily OC it to 2.4, or if you're lucky 2.5 or 2.6GHz, all of which are faster than the 3700+ and the 3800+ X2. You can get it here:
http://newsite.pagecomputers.com/st...ategory_name=24g24c151s1444&product_id=866074
If you want, you'd better hurry and get it, because they only have a limited inventory.

BTW, if you don't know what the socket 939 opteron CPU's are, look here:
http://techist.com/showthread.php?postid=604150#post604150

Dual core's good for future muti-threaded application's and people that muti task, some application's are muti-threaded now. But with non muti-threaded apps the single core processors are genurally better. You have to find out how fast 1 of the cores on a dual core processor is before you know how fast it is on a single threaded app. With a dual core on a non muti-threaded app it's usally no faster than just one of the cores sometimes it's slower. So at the moment i would go for a cheaper single core processor. But when more things become multi-threaded the dual core processors will shine. Just depends on what you are willing to pay. I would get a cheaper single core processor now and then upgrade to a muti core processor when muti-threaded apps are the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom