AMD pricedrop before conroe?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2006, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 189
Default AMD pricedrop before conroe??

Someone mentioned that AMD is supposedly dropping their prices soon, does that just mean that they will do so when conroe comes out, or is it rumored to be sooner? How significant a price drop do you guys think it'll be?.. 20-30 bucks isnt really worth waiting a month to me...

i need to get my comp before conroes release, but i could wait a bit if it could save me a decent amount of money

ohhh also, is there any significant reason why nvidia vid cards would drop in price soon (like within ~ 1 month) ? Im looking at a 7900gt right now if that makes a difference

triskit is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 32

why can't you wait until conroe? since your typing on this forum i'm guessing you have a perfectly good computer thats still usable for a couple more months =D. but if it can't wait, didn't Intel just have a huge price drop on all their current processors? if so then maybe pick up a pentium D instead.

EDIT: the price drops on the intel line doesnt happen until the Core 2 Duo arrives.

Jinru is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,306
Send a message via AIM to Brtnboarder495

I'd wait for Conroe anyways, then third-party sites can make fair comparisons and benchmarks, then depending on the price: performance ratio between AMD and Intel, you can make an educated decision. Plus, by then maybe there will be some lower latency DDR2 out.
Brtnboarder495 is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 189

i cant wait tho... i need to have my comp a couple weeks before the 23 of july
triskit is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,475

They won't price drop until conroe is about to come out. They are going to get the money while they can and then drop the price to remain competitive.
turtile is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 905

Wait for Conroe dude, I'm sure you can wait for a little while. From what I've heard, Conroe is going to blow AMD out of the water. I wish I had waited for it.
cyrax is offline  
Old 05-30-2006, 01:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,191

Even if AMD does drop their prices, our price won't come down for at least a couple months, because retailers and wholesalers (like paid the higher price before the drop, and will slowly lower their prices. That way they arent selling a CPU with a cost of 800 for 600 dollars because thats what they cost now after the price drop. Do you see what I mean?
The General is offline  
Old 05-30-2006, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 506

AMD will have to drop prices. In price comparison, every conroe chip performs better than the the corresponding AMD chip that is equal in price:

Core 2 Duo E6300 vs. Athlon 64 3500+ (single-core)
Core 2 Duo E6400 vs. Athlon 64 3800+ (single-core)
Core 2 Duo E6600 vs. Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Energy Efficient
Core 2 Duo E6700 vs. Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Energy Efficient
Core 2 X6800 vs. Athlon 64 FX-62
cedjunior is offline  
Old 05-30-2006, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 189

what do you think would be the earliest that retailers like cyberpower will be offering the conroe... immediately after it is realeased, or will it be a bit after that

not having a conroe wouldnt be the end of the world for me. It would be nice, but I rarely game, and when i do it isnt anything redicilously demanding. The most demanding thing that i do regularly is picture / video editing alongside like AIM, etc. The X2 3800 would be a giant upgrade from what im used to (3 year old pentium in a dell) anyway. So i guess im just not sure its worth the wait/ the hassle...

beyond that, im goin up to college on august 12, so at the latest i have to order my comp by the end of july. I need to be SURE that it gets to me. Ontop of that, it would be nice to have a couple days extra incase i need to ship it back because of a problem.
triskit is offline  
Old 05-31-2006, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 189

any thoughts on that... if im not gaming how much of a difference will i notice?

and what if it turns out that there are problems with the new tech..?

triskit is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.