AMD Phenom X4 CPU Prices Emerge - Page 10 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:54 AM   #91 (permalink)
Hellfire!

Send a message via MSN to Wildside
Default Re: AMD Phenom X4 CPU Prices Emerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon1 View Post
Who cares if it is true quad core or not ?

I think most people here want a processor that perform very well and overclocks very well.

What is the point of having true quad core that performs worse than two dual core ?

What if AMD quad core perform worse than Intel quad core (Note: I said if) ? Would you get AMD quad core just because it is a "true" quad core ?!
i just find it highly irrelavent for the Phenom "true" quad-core to performance worse then a quad-core that is just 2 dual-cores glued together.

i remember u arguing with Apokalipse about quad-cores n true quad-cores a while back n it was ugly , plz dont do it again.

--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Old 11-07-2007, 03:17 AM   #92 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Who cares if it is true quad core or not ?
AMD, because it will make their chips faster than if they used two dual core die's.

Quote:
I think most people here want a processor that perform very well and overclocks very well.
and/or one that is cheap.

Quote:
What is the point of having true quad core that performs worse than two dual core ?
It doesn't perform worse than two dual cores. It might perform worse than two dual cores that have a better core architecture, however.

Quote:
What if AMD quad core perform worse than Intel quad core (Note: I said if) ? Would you get AMD quad core just because it is a "true" quad core ?!
Depends on price.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:09 AM   #93 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to gurusan

I'm not sure why everyone is so excited about this "true quad core" stuff...sure true quad core has nice optimizations but the AMD x2 destroyed the Pentium D, and we know the majority of the reason for that was because of the entire core architecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisskerven View Post
now to technical stuff...
All I really know is if the phenoms can out perform the Q6600 g0 or whatever the bloody 'ell it's called then I'll be buying me a phenom for my new gaming rig-
The jury is still out on that one....

Quote:
I don't care what beats a phenom that WILL come out- I care what is out and price competitive.
The cheapest Penryn will be 266 dollars at launch clocked at 2.5ghz... The cheapest Phenom is only 19 dollars less and I can't see the Phenom at 2.2ghz beating it.

Quote:
if it only gets 2.0 but unleashes the full potiential of every other part (RAM, Video etc) without bottle necks or hesistations- who cares!
What are you on about? At the end of the day if the computer isn't faster overall then bottlenecks are irrelevant (not entirely sure which bottlenecks you are talking about anyway. The onboard memory controller AMD has certainly helps latencies but the massive cache that Intels chips have makes up for the lack of an onbaord memory controller...which the nehalem will have anyway)

Quote:
I got a feeling AMD IS hiding something with there quads- and in a good way- and once there out a lot of people are going to change there minds.
mm hmm...just like they were hiding their big bad R600

Quote:
Hince why Intel jumped to doing that instead of developing true quad core in the first place- meanwhile let the competition do the hard work - then copy it later and add another spin off- but before they can release all that- there "fake quads" sell like hotcakes to the hungry consumers.

Supply, Demand, Corperate backstabbing, its just how things work.
riiigght. Because it's so obvious that Intel "stole AMD's hard work"....being that the designs are so similar and all.
|| 37" LCD TV || CM Hyper 212+ || Samsung 2.1 Soundbar ||
Old 11-07-2007, 07:46 AM   #94 (permalink)
MetalHead Techie

actually the starting penryn at $266 is 2.4 and the $316 has triple and cache of the 2.4 and is .16 ghz faster
Mobo Biostar Z68A+
Mem 4 gb PNY DDR3 1600
Case afk
Sound Logitech z-5300e 5.1 + Razer Orca's + Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE
PSU Corsair 520hx
OS Windows 7 64-bit
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
HDD Hitachi 1Tb
Old 11-07-2007, 07:47 AM   #95 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
actually the starting penryn at $266 is 2.4 and the $316 has triple and cache of the 2.4 and is .16 ghz faster
double the cache 12mb vs 6mb
Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 AM   #96 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

the cache of the intels is indeed impressive.
as far as worse performance, and still buying the phenom...i dont know. depends on how much worse and how much cheaper, ya know.
i would have to buy a new mobo and basically rebuild my rig to use intel, and that is something i dont really want to do. plus, i dont think the performance increase (if there is one) would justify that kind of expense or trouble.
if they perform better, then in new systems we would obviously suggest the intel chips.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:04 AM   #97 (permalink)
Lord Techie

This is starting to sound like a old thread where we argued over whether or not true dual cores would easily out beat intels version of dual core. I would like to see a real benchmark using one of the newer motherboards. That or lets just wait till they finally release there chips. Anyways, lets just wait, some people like me prefer AMD, some prefer Intel, that will never change. I just think lately that Intel has tried improving AMD's technology like the whole dual core thing, I haven't studied anything about processors since the early K8 days, but the way it appears to me is that Intel just improved Dual Core technology with the C2D after AMD made a true dual core, and the way it sounds, they may end up doing that again.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:07 AM   #98 (permalink)
Content Team

Send a message via AIM to blackhawk13

Heh. I dunno. The way it's looking right now, Intel may have the upper hand still. With their 45nm cores coming out in Q1 of 2008, AMD has VERY tough competition. I'm kind of an AMD fanboy, but I might just have to go the Intel route if it looks like this.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:11 AM   #99 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_scott View Post
This is starting to sound like a old thread where we argued over whether or not true dual cores would easily out beat intels version of dual core. I would like to see a real benchmark using one of the newer motherboards. That or lets just wait till they finally release there chips. Anyways, lets just wait, some people like me prefer AMD, some prefer Intel, that will never change. I just think lately that Intel has tried improving AMD's technology like the whole dual core thing, I haven't studied anything about processors since the early K8 days, but the way it appears to me is that Intel just improved Dual Core technology with the C2D after AMD made a true dual core, and the way it sounds, they may end up doing that again.
Ehh? improved AMD's technology? What are you talking about, they are nothing alike.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:07 AM   #100 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubfreak View Post
"true" quadcores are actually MORE expensive to produce than the double double that intel uses
no, actually, true quad cores really are cheaper to produce. They actually use less materials overall than two dual core dies.