AMD Phenom X4 CPU Prices Emerge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well your just looking at the clock speed- what about
Execution Units, Pipeline, and other things the CPU has? these will tell us which is faster- does anyone have the info on these things on the Phenoms? 2.x Ghz is nothing to boast about if it takes 2x as long to make one process.
(Yes I read the CPU tutorial guide)
heres the example there (first)
"Prescott:
90nm die process size
3 execution units
31 stage pipeline
3.0GHz
Memory controller on the motherboardÂ's “Northbridge”

Venice:
90nm die process size
3 execution units
12 stage pipeline
1.8GHz
Memory controller integrated into processor."

the 3.0 GHz takes over twice as long to do 1 thing as the 1.8Ghz due to its "31 stage pipeline" - it has to do 31 things before it's done and ready for the next- so in fact it takes nearly 3 times as long as the 1.8GHz as it only has to do 12....

and thats just the first big example because I see your only compairing GHz to GHz. Lets get some hardcore facts on these phenoms into this thread.

no, actually, true quad cores really are cheaper to produce. They actually use less materials overall than two dual core dies.

doesnt always matter if its cheaper to produce... if the route to producing, hiring engineers and such, cost a fortune... then production cost won't be the deal.. gotta take in play the cost to create this idea as well.. and if they had to keep paying these people paychecks for something that took too long to make.. they gotta make up that margin back

well if you're talking about R&D then I think Intels budget is larger than AMDs

lol this can turn into a huge arguement!! lol

and i was talking on amd's behalf... saying that even if they're quad is cheaper to produce (as in numbers) it doesnt matter if they had to spend to much to actually make it (as in, make a final cpu)

lol ya, its a drawing i made back in 11th grade.. just found it the other day.. decided to pop it out and color it in a bit

fun lil comic i was making called Boba Boba

uhhhhh. what? i mean is....
onboard memory controller is exclusive to AMD. ie intel cant get it down, which is why they still use a FSB...or is it "just not that important (according to intel lol)"?
uhhhh intel cant place both their chips on the same die.
thanks for contributing/ lol/
AMD has sunk loads of time and money into their new lineup, i'll be surprised if it doesnt surprise me.
Intel has plans on releasing a line of CPUs with IMC's, right? COUGH NEHALEM COUGH
Hey, the fact that Intel isn't using an IMC isn't even that bad. How long has LGA 775 lasted. However, AMD has released multiple platforms in that time. You realize S939 is basically screwed over when it comes to upgrades right now? No BIOS flash is going to solve my problem that I'd be paying two times for a dual core and my RAM than AM2 counterparts if I wanted to upgrade them. So now, I'm stuck with buying a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU or investing money into a dead socket, and buying slower, more expensive pieces.
But those people with a Pentium 4, they can upgrade to Core 2's with just an easy BIOS flash plenty of the time.
So yeah, the IMC hasn't been all wonders for AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom