AMD / Intel Future - Page 8 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #71 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Default Re: AMD / Intel Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXDuskXx View Post
hopefully amd does well with their next processor... X_X
but i cant really see them beating intel like they did with their athlon 64
u mean X2... cuz Athlon64 owned P4
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdawg
My consumer opinion on AMD was that the tended to make better than or equally better processors than intel and for a lower price. Heck, if there was a decent third and fourth company I'd love that all the better.
Ditto again.

AMD has always been a thorn in Intel's side. Even back in the K6 days, AMD was doing more with less than Intel was doing.

I guess I tend to side with the underdog on most things, and this is one of them. Intel, like Microsoft and IBM, tends to sit back and ride the success of whatever they release instead of keeping their nose to the grindstone to bring out the next one. It took an upstart like AMD who kicked Intel's hiney to get them moving. Now Intel is trying to bury AMD through their clout and global dominance. Makes me glad that AMD is still holding on to their suit of Intel... hopefully it will change a few things.

When Dell finally decided to start using AMD chips, people scoffed at it and whined because Dell was soaking up so many chips. In actuality, this has gave AMD a major victory. Dell is still a world-wide company, and people can buy an AMD box from Dell cheaper than an Intel box. Dell's use of AMD "legitimized" AMD in the eyes of the general public.

What does the future hold? I dunno, but it is going to be exciting.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 08-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #72 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
Ditto.

Ditto again.

AMD has always been a thorn in Intel's side. Even back in the K6 days, AMD was doing more with less than Intel was doing.

I guess I tend to side with the underdog on most things, and this is one of them. Intel, like Microsoft and IBM, tends to sit back and ride the success of whatever they release instead of keeping their nose to the grindstone to bring out the next one. It took an upstart like AMD who kicked Intel's hiney to get them moving. Now Intel is trying to bury AMD through their clout and global dominance. Makes me glad that AMD is still holding on to their suit of Intel... hopefully it will change a few things.

When Dell finally decided to start using AMD chips, people scoffed at it and whined because Dell was soaking up so many chips. In actuality, this has gave AMD a major victory. Dell is still a world-wide company, and people can buy an AMD box from Dell cheaper than an Intel box. Dell's use of AMD "legitimized" AMD in the eyes of the general public.

What does the future hold? I dunno, but it is going to be exciting.
seriously... i wanna see who wins, but i'm rooting for AMD (i'm not a fanboy) i root for the underdog :-)

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 08-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #73 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
u mean X2... cuz Athlon64 owned P4
i was trying to say that the anthlon 64 owned the p4 X_X

the blood drive is a pyramid scheme perpetrated by dracula and his night slaves
Old 08-04-2007, 10:06 PM   #74 (permalink)
Super Techie

I'd love to know the details of that deal AMD made with Intel. Does Dell just buy from AMD? I work for Coca-Cola and we practically give our crap away to Wal-Mart. It's like "buying" market share. I wonder if AMD has to do the same.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #75 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
I work for Coca-Cola
Where? I worked for CCE for five years, been gone two now. Yeah, stores get it at or below cost just so Coke can be in the store's ads. It's crazy... besides, Coke makes all of its money on small bottle sales (20 ounce, half-liter, liter, 12 ounce).

Dell sells AMD and Intel. Intel wasn't happy about it. Dell also went public that Intel had them in some kind of exclusivity contract with them at one time, and that Dell lost a lot of "incentives" when they opted to use AMD chips, too.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 08-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #76 (permalink)
Super Techie

Oh good ol' CCE eh? I work for Swire Bev's. I was based out of Salt Lake City (Don't be confused - I'm Texan - a necessary disclaimer) but right now I'm posted in Hong Kong. They don't do 20oz. here - it's all about .5Liters. THe chinese drink smaller portions.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:31 AM   #77 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

isnt hong kong the most expensive city in the world in which to live? seems like i just read that somewhere....
Old 08-05-2007, 12:32 AM   #78 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasama View Post
isnt hong kong the most expensive city in the world in which to live? seems like i just read that somewhere....
No...I think it's Tokyo. That place has technology, left and right.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 08-05-2007, 12:34 AM   #79 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

i thought they were tied... meh looks like i was wrong...
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 08-05-2007, 12:36 AM   #80 (permalink)
Super Techie

I'm not sure but I do know they have the cheapest McDonald's (yuck) anywhere in the world.

Closed Thread