AMD / Intel Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'll just quote myself?

I was actually wondering which one would be favorable on wall street but from what i can tell since Intel has done so well with the c2d, its lowered the price of AMD - so rly how much worse could AMD do in the next years? lol. Even if they perform the same, more ppl will buy amd than in the last year(s) making it the favorable buy?

I managed to make a few hundred when the dual cores were released and it was the first time i ever bought stock short term

question - i've always bought the stuff extra little things, ex: SLI, high wattage psu, low latency memory, etc. just to both make me feel better and take advantage of the technology while its there... i have two 6800gt's, overclocked memory, etc So anywayas, will quad core be worth it? I mean will vista / xp support it right out of its release?

Also are we going to see an increase in onboard memory now that this x64 stuff has finally smoothed over a little nicer / gotten into everyones lives thanks to windows? I have 3gb of memory and it is ALWAYS 90%-100% full when i'm using photoshop + premiere + after effects + ultra on vista x64 ultimate... what i'm trying to say is people like me, consumers, are demanding more power to run the overpowered applications [with serious memory leaks] :p.

which is still less than a 4/3 performance advantage (dividing the IPC of the Core 2 by the IPC of the K8)

Do you know how to do math ??

2.33GHz x 4/3 = 3.01GHz

So, E6550 has around 4/3 the performance advantage over AMD

as low as. Meaning, on the low-end chips.

The 3GHz 45nm Qaud-core Xeon chip have 80W and thats still low compared to the current Quad cores

Do you know how to do math ??

2.33GHz x 4/3 = 3.01GHz

So, E6550 has around 4/3 the performance advantage over AMD
alright, fine. I'll give you that one. But it proves my point.
Core 2's biggest advantage is their 4 IPC pipeline, vs the K8's 3 IPC pipeline.

K10 is increasing the pipeline to 4 IPC, as well as offering many more advancements in its architecture
http://www.techist.com/forums/f78/barcelona-architecture-changes-143544/

The 3GHz 45nm Qaud-core Xeon chip have 80W and thats still low compared to the current Quad cores
current intel quad cores.

From what I heard, AMD Phenom X4 will have 90W to 125W, thats a lot more than 50W or 80W

I was comparing it to the current Intel Quad core, because the AMD K10 processors are not out and we are not sure how much power they will consume...........

yes... but i havent seen any mobos that have sockets for more than 4gigs or support modules that can be larger than 1gb for a consumer.

server boards..... u have to look it up, there are also 2 gb x 2 kits for things that support 8gb RAM total

yes... but i havent seen any mobos that have sockets for more than 4gigs or support modules that can be larger than 1gb for a consumer.

lol wtf???
thats why they make 2gb dimms of ram.
most (if not all, starting at s939) amd64 boards (not just server boards) can support 8gb of ram. dual opteron boards have 8 dimms that can hold 2gb each.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

heres a 4gb kit right cheeyuh. search newegg 4gb memory and you see lots of them.

From what I heard, AMD Phenom X4 will have 90W to 125W, thats a lot more than 50W or 80W

I was comparing it to the current Intel Quad core, because the AMD K10 processors are not out and we are not sure how much power they will consume...........
A lot of the power consumption of K8 and K10 chips is from the memory controller, which is on-chip.

I'd be interested to see system total power consumption of AMD quad vs Intel quad systems.

According to a lot of articles, Agena will be 89W

*edit*
Also, Intel's power ratings aren't actually based on what their maximum load is.

man this all started from my whys everyone calling intels not real quads. but i do agree with maroon1, a quad is a quad no matter which way u look at it. i mean u sayin its just two dual cores put together, sounds like a qaud to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom